Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Wolf Experience
LSF Member
From andover
I've been deer hunting since the 60's north of Duluth. Saw some wolves over the years while on my stand but have never heard what I heard this past weekend while Muzzy hunting. Heard some howling from a pac a distance from me. Then nothing. 5 minutes later they were right behind me, I'm thinking not more than 20 feet.

Could not see them for I was 15 feet up in my portable with pine trees behind me. But I heard them loud and clear. Most sounded normal but one was like grunting almost and mashing it's teeth. I could hear the teeth clicking for lack of a better way to describe it. Never heard this before and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard this.

Never was afraid of wolves up there, but that moment had a little concern build up. They stuck around only about a minute and left. I think they were after a deer they were chasing. 10 minutes later I heard them at a distance again. Well when I got off my stand I had to walk about a 1/4 of a mile to meet up with my brother through the woods for lunch. Normally I would not have a care in the world but I did that time.

But after lunch I was back to not having a care about wolves again. That sound from the wolves teeth though I will remember for a long time. Very intense. good luck.

Posted on: 12/5 17:34:03

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wolf Experience
LSF Member
From The shack
Herd the teeth/jaw clicking before on a bear they use it as a warning, not sure if wolves do the same. I hunt just east of Ely and boy I have seen alot more wolves the last few years also alot less deer and moose but that's a different discussion

Posted on: 12/5 18:15:15

Staff Team
From Bloomington
That is an experience you will never forget!

A similar story but with aggressive pack of Coyotes on this site is what helped me decide to start bring something with a double stack magazine into the woods with me.

Posted on: 12/6 9:43:00

LSF Member
From Osseo MN
I have been hunting the past 12 years northeast of big sandy lake and this last year have had more wolves on camera and seen more sign. previous years i have had scat and tracks near my deer stand but opening morning of rifle season this year i saw my first wolf there. it came trotting past my stand at 45 yards then an hour later another lone wolf out in clear cut 120 yards away. they are big when you see them fairly close. makes me more thoughtful when entering and exiting the woods than the usual.

Posted on: 12/6 9:54:53

LSF Member
From andover
I just found a new respect for wolves up there. I told my brother that what if I was on the ground and this pack that is already excited all of the sudden came across me right there on my trail. Would they get spooked and turn around or would they attack. Haven't heard of a wolf attack for a long time on a human. But from now on and that afternoon after it happened I was and will be having my handgun handy with a extra clip just to be safe.

The last two years There was not much wolf activity Last year I only saw one loner wolf track. No howling at night or day. This year there was howling at night and during the day and obviously there is a pack there. I will call my representative and see if there is anything he can do to offer a bill to allow a wolf lottery again to control them. There are too many as far as I'm concerned. good luck.

Posted on: 12/6 10:52:21

LSF Member
S.S.S. Shoot, shovel, shut up.

Posted on: 12/6 11:04:40

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
When you mention the grunting and teeth clicking it makes me think a bear was warning the wolf pack. I guess I don't have a lot of experience with wolves in the woods (besides being followed out while grouse hunting... scary) but I have heard and seen bears make the exact noises you seem to be describing. They do it as a warning like woodsman said.

So maybe you had a bear and wolves right behind your stand! Maybe not, no reason a wolf couldn't make those sounds too I guess.

I don't think there are any confirmed wolf - human kills in the US (maybe 1 or 2 in history) but for some reason wolves scare me more than anything else in our woods. Got the goosebumps just reading your story.

Posted on: 12/6 12:08:16

LSF Member
From andover
Good point Bottlebass but just 20 feet from my stand on the way back I seen the tracks of the wolves which were not there on the way in. No bear tracks near or no den that they would be in that I know of since I have walked the whole area many times. Kind of know that area well since I have hunted the same spot since the 60's. I'll have to google sounds of wolves or something to find out this sound or maybe the DNR can tell me. good luck.

Posted on: 12/6 14:10:19

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I'm sure the wolves can make those sounds. Just a thought I had.

Super cool experience though, thanks for sharing. Still giving me goosebumps when i think about it though..

Posted on: 12/6 14:45:20

LSF Member
From Duluth
Thanks for the post RH,amazing season to have an experience with wolves like that! Most of us will only get that second hand,ever,boots on the ground,alone afield. Added plus it was during ML season.

Posted on: 12/6 20:11:05

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page