Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

If You Like To Eat Northern Pike...
LSF Member
You better get them this winter.

Your "friends" at the MNDNR are about to screw up your Table Fare once again, in the name of Experimentation.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2017/12/04/new-northern-pike-fishing-regulations-coming-spring-2018/

Pike zones begin this spring

When the new regulations take effect this spring, the majority of the state will be in the north-central zone where the issue is overpopulation of small pike. Anglers here will be able to keep 10 northern pike, but not more than two pike longer than 26 inches, and all from 22 to 26 inches must be released. Northern pike taken by spearing follow the same rules except one pike may be between 22 and 26 inches and one longer than 26 inches.

In the northeast zone, the new regulation will maintain harvest opportunity and protect large fish already present and anglers here will be able to keep two pike and must release all from 30 to 40 inches, with only one over 40 inches allowed in possession. Spearers also will be able to take two pike but only one may be longer than 26 inches.

In the southern zone, the regulation will intend to increase pike abundance and improve the size of fish harvested. Anglers and spearers will be able to keep two fish, with a minimum size of 24 inches.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 15:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: If You Like To Eat Northern Pike...
LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
I like it, get all of those little slimers out of there. we kept a few pike under 20" this past opener and still got plenty of meat for a fry, going to do more of that...

Posted on: 2017/12/6 15:13

LSF Member
From Balsam Township
I eat pike all the time, and these new regulations don't bother me.

I've rarely eaten one over 26", if ever.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 15:24

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

Bandersnatch wrote:
You better get them this winter.

10 pike isn't enough for you?

I like these regs. They won't change a thing for me, I only keep a few pike a year to eat and they are all small ones anyway.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 15:59

LSF Member
I like it too. A long time coming in my opinion.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 16:06

LSF Member
From Jordan, MN
I have a great pickled pike recipe...

Attach file:

docx PICKLED NORTHERN.docx Size: 14.51 KB; Hits: 126

Posted on: 2017/12/6 16:33

LSF Member
From andover
The central zone is a large area. 10 pike is a lot of pike and I can't see anyone [well maybe some] keeping 10 every time out. i know it won't be me. I always thought the DNR had it backwards for a long time with walleye limit at 6 [not everywhere now but it was standard for many years] and pike at 3. So many lakes with many small pike and this should help. I love pickled pike and pike fillets in general so I will keep some pike but not 10 or even 5. good luck.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 17:23

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Secret X
Not everyone goes fishing every chance they get like a lot of us . And it's not ten everyday. Well it is but mostly it's the fact that now you can have ten in possession. I think it's great. There are just tons of lakes with those dam snot rockets...

Posted on: 2017/12/6 18:58

LSF Member
From West Fargo, ND
I like the regs. In the Detroit Lakes area there are a TON of small pike. Lakes that have had the 24-36" protected slot have much better size structure in my experience. This is similar to that while encouraging the taking of the smaller fish to help.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 19:26

LSF Member
For how I prepare them I have always kept just the one around 25-26 inches.

Haven't been able to for years.

I don't freeze fish. I only take what I am going to eat, so 10 means absolutely Bupkis to me.

Posted on: 2017/12/6 20:20

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page