Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Snowmobile Electrical Problem
LSF Member
From Minnesota
Wondering if someone can help me out. I have a 2003 ski doo mxz 550f. Right now the engine runs great, but the headlights and tail light don't work. The speedometer works well, and the handle bar warmers and thumb warmers work too.

The only issue right now is the head light and tail light. The brake light comes on the speedometer when I press the brake, and the headlight light comes on the speedometer when I turn it on.

Curious why just the head and tail lights wouldnt work at all?

Posted on: 2017/12/13 20:02

Re: Snowmobile Electrical Problem
Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
My first thoughts with any 12v system is a bad GROUND. Burnt bulbs or a fuse(s)could be it, but bad grounds cause more issues on 12v systems than any other issue. Usually, from my limited experience, grounding, fuses, and bulbs are the main suspects (and bad grounds account for 75% of those......

SL

Posted on: 2017/12/13 23:59

LSF Member
i had the same problem on my 99 600xc. it was the voltage regulator. it fixed it for me. good luck.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 9:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Thanks for the help guys! Iím gonna check it out Saturday. Would it be the voltage regular though if everything works except the lights? From what I have read online when itís the regulator nothing works..like the speedometer, hand warmers, thumb warmers, etc.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 9:44

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Went through the tail light today and found spark, I replaced the bulb and the tail light worked perfectly then. Im going to look at the head lights tomorrow, if anyone knows an easy way to disassemble them let me know.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 19:27

LSF Member
From Minnesota
I have a new voltage regulator on the way right now. Planning to get it tomorrow and hopefully install tomorrow or wednesday. I called some mechanics and they said that if the bulbs are burning out right away when the sled fires up then it points that it is the voltage regulator.

Once I install the new voltage regulator and hook up the lights I will post back with the results

Posted on: 2017/12/18 20:11

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Installed the new voltage regulator today and everything works perfect again! Thanks all for the help

Posted on: 2017/12/19 20:09

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page