Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Propane ice augers
LSF Member
I'm considering going to a propane auger but don't know anyone with one. Wondering what people have experienced with them, and what kind of auger do you have. I'm thinking about the jiffy 46 X Treme. Eskimo looks good as well. I have always been a strike master guy, but they are not into propane augers yet!

Posted on: 2017/12/16 0:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Propane ice augers
LSF Member
From St Francis
I tried the Jiffy pro 4. My buddy got one so we raced. I have a SM Solo which I like a lot. They were identical speed. Mine was louder. Weight was similar. Overall I was impressed and would not be scared to get one. I donít know about there dependability yet. Good Luck

Posted on: 2017/12/16 10:04

LSF Member
Ive had the pro 4 for 4 years now and it cuts great. Havent had any major issues. Only problem i have had was when the propane got too cold and it didnt want to fire. Ive heard they have addressed this issue in newer models but havent tried one myself. I just keep the can in the house with me if its going to be sitting out below zero now. Personally if i was looking to buy new right now i would probably look at the lithium augers available, the weight difference is pretty impressive.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 10:19

LSF Member
From Ramsey
I've been using a Jiffy Pro 4 for three years now and I couldn't be happier with it. The only thing I'd do differently would be to go with the 8" instead of the 10". I've never had it not start - in fact, it starts first or second pull even after sitting all summer.

A couple buddies bought the Pro Lite models and these seem to have less power, but they're still nice.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 11:09

Staff Team
I have a new jiffy four and glad to hear the great comments. I have not started mine yet but soon. I did buy the 10 inch but I am to old to run and gun so 10 inch was my choice............Kirk

Posted on: 2017/12/16 11:27

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Serious question for everyone: Unless you are running and gunning and drilling 100's of holes in a day, why would anyone buy a gas or propane powered auger? The technology of the lithium's and K-drills is such that it makes a gas or propane auger obsolete unless you are drilling a lot of holes. Plus with a K-drill, you have a drill to use year round. I know my gas auger is next on the chopping block to get replaced.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 11:48

LSF Member
Not a big fan of the propane ice augers myself . The cold , low cylinders can become problematic at times . And also I've seen issues with the way it's stowed away , or laying it down in certain ways during transporting it , I believe it had something to do do with oil draining into places it shouldn't be . I agree that there are better options available on today's market . . Maybe these issues have been corrected , and today's newer models are not seeing these issues happening anymore .

Posted on: 2017/12/16 12:02

LSF Member
Quote:

Doberfishman wrote:
Serious question for everyone: Unless you are running and gunning and drilling 100's of holes in a day, why would anyone buy a gas or propane powered auger? The technology of the lithium's and K-drills is such that it makes a gas or propane auger obsolete unless you are drilling a lot of holes. Plus with a K-drill, you have a drill to use year round. I know my gas auger is next on the chopping block to get replaced.

why? Affordability. Reliability. Longevity. All purpose. IMO nothing will replace the gas auger. I have both an electric and gas.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 12:03

LSF Member
From Duluth
Quote:

pulleye16 wrote:
Quote:

Doberfishman wrote:

why? Affordability. Reliability. Longevity. All purpose. IMO nothing will replace the gas auger. I have both an electric and gas.

Both good comments,with the new k-dril set up,got my gear in a 60Ēsled with everything I need including a nice chair. And only @50#. But itís (k-drill) definitely no run and gun gas or propane auger. Iíve already smelt my drill a couple times so time will tell,Iím pretty careful with most of my gear so not to worried. First thing I did was dump that gas,oil,leaking,stinky mako. Only because itís a choice we all have. As long as the freezing propane issue has been addressed with them, itís another good choice all fishermen have. Good luck and be safe.

Attach file:

jpeg  961D13A8-FA1A-473C-9871-82B6B3113E36.jpeg (2,055.34 KB)
32461_5a355f0538fff.jpeg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 2017/12/16 12:59

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Quote:

Doberfishman wrote:

I went with propane because the battery augers (3 years ago) were still iffy in terms of battery life and weight and they weren't any less expensive either. Even today I'm not convinced that dollar-for-dollar or hole-for-hole they're BETTER than propane. As the technology improves and the costs settle (relative to the alternatives) I do see an electric in my future.

I keep hearing about propane augers not starting in cold weather but in three years of use (yes, in cold weather) I have yet to experience this. Mine starts first or second pull every time, even after sitting all summer.

The K-Drill thing is an interesting fad in my estimation. No doubt they work, but they aren't any less expensive to get into and I doubt a guy will get but a few years out of each drill and set of batteries, if that. This is an expensive way to put holes in the ice over the long term.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 11:29

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page