Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Propane ice augers
LSF Member
Before you buy a propane find a way to use a lithium. You will buy one for sure. I've owned an Ion for 3 years. Never an issue. Also, lighter, no smoke, no stink, no spills, etc. as far as running and gunning goes would you prefer to be hauling a 30-40 lb auger or a light weight lithium. Once you own a lithium you will never go back to a gas or propane beast with all their down sides. Thought you might want to hear a lithium report from someone who actually owns one.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 17:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
As mentioned, the k-drill is spendy, and I suspect the drill itself will not last nearly as long as a gas or propane engine. But, and this is the deal sealer for me, the k-drill/Milwaukee combo only weighs 11lbs and is easy to drill with. I have some neck issues and the weight savings and ease of use make it the absolute best option for me. I love it, and with 2 batteries, I can drill as much as I have ever needed to for a day - even in thick ice.

My $0.02

Posted on: 2017/12/17 18:07

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I've had nothing but great luck with my Jiffy propane. I haven't had to use an extension yet, but it cuts perfectly all the way down to the handles without losing power. I've never had it seize in a hole like I have with gas augers. It's only not started twice. Once when it was -38 on URL. I just put the head in the ice house for a couple of minutes to let the tank warm up and it was fine. The second was when a little ice formed over one of the breather holes on the regulator. The hole is about the size of a pencil lead. Just had to blow on it for a second to melt the ice and it fired right up.

If you only drill a few holes each day, there's probably nothing wrong with the newer battery powered drills. Your kit is much lighter that way. I tend to hop around quite a bit and have drilled 100-125 holes in a day on several occasions.

-MS

Posted on: 2017/12/18 9:30

LSF Member
I'm getting older, not younger, so weight was my big motivator. Electrics have gone past the "house only" argument.

Posted on: 2017/12/18 13:11

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I have the Jiffy Pro 4 Gen 2 propane auger and have loved it. I've had it since they first came out with it and have drilled a ton of holes. This year I have had trouble starting it, I have to pull it quite a few times and it will start but as soon as I press the throttle it'll die again. After 10+ pulls I can finally press the throttle without it dying and it will start to rev up. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Posted on: 2017/12/18 16:52

LSF Member
From St. Francis
Way I see it, both have their place on the ice. Electic can get the job done but you can't just run to the station and get "fuel" when you run out ... or forget. Yeah, don't pretend you've NEVER forgotten something important like that. If I had a permanent house and a generator I would definitely get a 10" Ion or SM 40V. I've looked at K-drill but can't justify the cost for the convenience. I finally bought a gas auger last year and only because a friend was getting rid of it (for a propane) and I knew it was in great shape and cheap. As my grandfather would have said: What do you need that crap for? You have two perfectly good arms, don't you? I'll keep using my 5" laser hand auger as long as I have two good arms to turn it.

Posted on: 2017/12/18 19:00

LSF Member
From Litchfield
I have had many fishermen fish with me since I went to an Electric auger, and they now run one! I bought the new 40v Strikemaster. ths year. Wonderful set up! Love the fact I can pop the battery off with ease, Reverse for slush, light for in a boxed wheel house, etc, etc!!! Will never deal with a gas situation again. You gotta check out electric if you have not yet! Every fisherman is different and has different needs, but do not shy away from something new and different!

Posted on: 2017/12/18 22:44

LSF Member
From Maple Grove
Electric all the way. If you are an average ice angler that drills most likely fewer than 50 holes in a day than why would you consider anything else? I mean car companies are moving toward lithium battery cars. I guess it really comes down to how many actual holes you typically drill. If you actually drill 100+ holes than gas and propane will be better. If you are an average angler that probably drills less than 50 holes a day there is really no reason not to have a lithium auger. They are way easier to maintain, lighter, and just as fast at cutting. I think the true question you have to answer is how many holes do you actually drill? That will give you the answer. No matter what you decide as long as it gets you fishing and having fun than that's what matters! Good luck on your decision!

Posted on: 2017/12/18 23:07

LSF Member
From St Francis
Msaunders... you drill 100-125 holes a day??!!
Enlighten me as to how that can possibly be worth the time and effort.
At 100 holes fishing each hole for 5 min thatís 8.33 hours! Plus at least a 1 1/2 hours to drill and slush all the holes.
So either you move A LOT or thatís a heck of a lot of wasted holes and effort!
Maybe you just REALLY love your auger😀
To each his own
Just bustin your balls
Sorry man

Posted on: 2017/12/18 23:22

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
Quote:

franman wrote:
Msaunders... you drill 100-125 holes a day??!!
Enlighten me as to how that can possibly be worth the time and effort.
At 100 holes fishing each hole for 5 min thatís 8.33 hours! Plus at least a 1 1/2 hours to drill and slush all the holes.
So either you move A LOT or thatís a heck of a lot of wasted holes and effort!
Maybe you just REALLY love your auger😀
To each his own
Just bustin your balls
Sorry man

That's not an every day occurrence. But, I have done that on several occasions. I'm usually chasing panfish and will only fish a hole for a couple of minutes if I'm not seeing any fish. I get to a spot, drill a grid of 10-15 holes and work the area. If I don't find anything in the area, I move on to the next spot on the map I think might be likely to hold fish. A normal day of fishing is usually only 25-30 holes. I only tend to drill a lot of holes when I'm exploring a new lake.

-MS

Posted on: 2017/12/19 10:02

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page