Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

First time sausage maker
LSF Member
From Perham
Iíve never made sausage before and i have purchased a Cabelaís grinder. Ready to start making my own deer sausage. Keeping it simple at first, looking for advice on what casings to use and what kind of premixed spice to get. Anyone have any favorites? Or any other helpful advice?

Posted on: 2017/12/19 10:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: First time sausage maker
LSF Member
Call or lookup PS Seasonings they will have everything you could think of. Just know there stuff is good and reasonably priced but kind of slow to ship.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 10:13

LSF Member
From Eagan
I highly recommend getting a sausage stuffer. It makes things sooooooo much easier IMO. I usually just run down to Von Hansons and get fresh casing. As far as seasonings go i would recommend starting with one of the pre-packed ones from Cabelas, Fleet farm or anywhere else that carries them.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 10:43

From Sioux Falls, SD
Don't have much experience with casings for sausage, as I normally grind my own venison scraps and just package my sausage for patties (normally mix 50/50 with ground pork).

Personally for me, I've tried a few different brands of breakfast sausage seasoning, and the one that I thought had the best flavor was made by hi-mountain. Normally I use the Original Hi-Mountain Man to get a nice breakfast sausage. I am a fan of Von Hanson's breakfast Maple rope sausage as it has a sweet flavor to it...not just a maple smoke. Been trying to find someone down here in South Dakota that makes it also to no such luck.....and in doing so, I tried the Hi-Mountain Maple Blend.....I was not impressed with that blend.

Been happy with most of the other hi-mountain products for jerky, sausage, and buckboard bacon.

Haven't had an opportunity to try the PS brand yet.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/19 10:49

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
To be completely prepared you will need a grinder, stuffer and smoker, probe thermometer.

There are two main types- fresh and smoked.
Smoked sausage requires cure to be added to prevent botulism when cooking/smoking at low temps.

High mountain makes some excellent kits for summer sausage and a few for brats and breakfast sausage.

Cabelas has some but I haven't tried them. Cashwise foods usually has the DBC foods seasonings and those are pretty good. Some butchers and meat shops will sell you seasonings also.

Summer sausage you will usually use a fibrous casing either clear or mahogany.
For brats/ring sausage I prefer natural hog casings. You can buy them at some grocers or order online. Dewied is the biggest supplier nationally.

Reinhard on here has a really informational site.

Sausagemaker.com
Curlys sausage seasonings
Owensbbq.com

It's a bit of work, but very rewarding when you get good product.

Attach file:

jpg  20171210_082448.jpg (1,633.20 KB)
1887_5a394b148d381.jpg 2880X2160 px

Posted on: 2017/12/19 12:18

LSF Member
From Perham
I do have a temp probe and a smoker. Love me some ribs and pork butt. The cure powder is another thing I was wondering about. Does a guy only use it when smoking? I was going to try some without smoking first. Is it beneficial to just use it all the time?

Posted on: 2017/12/19 13:20

LSF Member
From Duluth
Hey Ret-ro,,, Looks like youíve done that before,can just about taste that stuff from here. Mmm Mmm.

One item for thought is a mixer,picked one up a couple seasons ago. Wish it was 20,,,

Posted on: 2017/12/19 13:24

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
If you smoke sausage at the recommended temps you NEED to add cure or you risk botulism because the temp stays to low to long. For example I do 125,150,170

Not smoking, no cure needed.

Quote:

hogbellyhntr wrote:
I do have a temp probe and a smoker. Love me some ribs and pork butt. The cure powder is another thing I was wondering about. Does a guy only use it when smoking? I was going to try some without smoking first. Is it beneficial to just use it all the time?

Posted on: 2017/12/19 13:47

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Been making deer sausage since I was young.

Attach file:

jpg  20171210_200631.jpg (1,524.31 KB)
1887_5a395f3bc911d.jpg 2880X2160 px

Posted on: 2017/12/19 13:49

LSF Member
Check out Reinhards site. Lots of good info there as far as how to make stuff

Posted on: 2017/12/19 14:38

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page