Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: First time sausage maker
LSF Member
From andover
Wow Retro didn't know you do such a great job on sausage!!! Awesome. Ya, check my site below and it will give you all the information you need. I agree with Retro that the two best places to get good seasoning is Owens BBQ and Curley's Sausage Kitchen. You can get the cure there or just at Fleet farm. Have any questions just ask and I'll help you get there. Folks PM me all the time. One guy said to get a vertical stuffer and I would highly recommend that also. You can get a 5 pound stuffer for arround $120 bucks or so. It will save you lots of time and frustration from stuffing from the grinder. good luck.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 18:18

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm just an amateur. My grandpa taught me the process when I was young and I have picked up a lot along the way thanks to others willing to share.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 8:57

LSF Member
You have to get a stuffer. Pretty much impossible to stuff casings w/o one. Reinhard only mentions 2 places to buy supplies, and they are both good, but don't have as many to choose from.

Pretty much all suppliers sell the same seasonings they get from Excalibur seasonings,so get them where they cost and SH costs the least. If you want to try a variety.....look at PS Seasonings. They have by far the most to choose. Moer brat seasonings than I want to try.

The last time I ordered,I bought from Waltons. I like a consistant size casing, so I am trying a hank of 28-30 mm tubed casings.Waltons also has some excellent videos for beginners that can help you get going.....Meatgistics.

This time I am trying a smoked meat stabalizer and carrot fiber to make them more juicy.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 17:09

LSF Member
From Perham
Wow thanks guys for all input! Sounds like a stuffer is the way to go. I am taking your guys’ word for it and probably order it also. I am always up for doing something the easier way. I will post some pics once I get the rest of supplies and finally get to do some stuffing.

I did check out your site Riemhard and wow you put a lot of time and effort into it, great job. Some good reads, I will definitely be checking back to try some recipes.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 19:54

LSF Member
Don't forget one of the best parts before you stuff fry up a little patty to give a taste test and of course if you have to add something more another taste test is a must

Posted on: 2017/12/21 0:17

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
Hey Hog, I'm in a similar situation, just a few steps behind you; which cabelas grinder did you go with?

also, with mixing, does a kitchen aid type food mixer work well enough?

Posted on: 2017/12/21 8:54

LSF Member
From andover
As far as mixing, if you do small batches you sure can use the Kitchenaid. I do some 10 pound batches [going to make some garlic chicken sausage for my wife] but mostly 25 pound batches. I still mix with my hands. You can buy mixers on Amazon or even Fleet Farm. good luck.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 9:01

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Perham
Went with Pro series dc grinder, $100 off right now. Seemed like a good buy. See how it performs I guess. Also got there 5lb stuffer on sale.

I have a couple big plastic tubs that I plan on hand mixing with.

Posted on: 2017/12/24 0:50

LSF Member
If you mix by hand make sure you mix at least 5 min or more. The meat should be VERY tacky.Grab a handful and see if it will want to hold together as you pull it apart. You want to stretch the proteins in the meat so they will hold water and make the final product juicy. You will learn how long through trial and err.

Posted on: 2017/12/24 16:24

LSF Member
From Perham
Some good advice thanks.

I ordered some seasonings from Curley’s, not sure where I read somewhere they had slow shipping but it only took two days to get to my door. Hats off to them. Can’t wait to try some. First I’m going to stuff some up southern style and then some swiss bratwursts for the kids.

Posted on: 2017/12/24 22:44

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page