Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Lake Winnipeg going down hill?
LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
The Canadian Gov't is going to listen to Americans about how to regulate their lakes? Now that is funny!!!!

Posted on: 2017/12/20 21:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From central mn
Sadly folks fail to admitt how harmful netting is to our fisheries,its all about the $$$ or in some cases they nett because they can rather than doing whats right.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 10:56

LSF Member
As long as there is demand for walleye filets there will be people to satisfy the demand. The walleyes you eat in restaurants are either from Winnipeg or Erie...

Posted on: 2017/12/21 11:55

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Quote:

Oldstar wrote:
At this point I think there are many better destinations Stateside.

I would like to know those options for a true trophy. I am not talking about a 28 inch walleye or even 30. I have been going to Big windy in March for 18 years. I have caught numerous 30 plus inch walleyes. PB being 32 inch at 13.8 lbs. The decline is definitely happening but it is a big body of water. The part that made me worry last year was how close the nets are getting to the mouth of the red. You would maybe see a net or two but last year the amount of nets on the south shore were staggering. We caught plenty of fish mostly 16 to 18 inch fish with a couple 28 29s the void of low to mid 20 inch fish just are not there. It is scary how those breeding fish just disappeared in a matter of two years. You used to be able to catch 5-7 pounders like you catch 15 inchers on lake of the woods. With all the doom and gloom I would still put my money on Lake Winnipeg if you are truly looking for a trophy Walleye as in not ten pounds but 13 pounds or even larger. I have personally seen a 15lb caught through the ice and have heard of even bigger coming out of the red. You will not see that state side. On a side note Tobin Lake in Saskatchewan would probably be my second choice.

Good to see you are still posting here Canuck. Keep us posted on your quest to beat 32.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 21:21

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
The crazy thing is that Lake Winnipeg has only been a focused recreational fishery for a little over 10 years. It had world class trophy walleye fishing due in part to couple phenomenal year classes of fish that feasted on an abundant smelt population. Now it's getting away from them and they are trying to balance commercial & recreational fishing interests. Steps are being taken, but we all know how slowly it takes things to change when governments are involved. It's funny how we have guys on here squawking about the situation, but have never even been there. I truly hope it gets turned around, but regardless I have made some great friends up there.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 8:48

LSF Member
Seagull and sag are good options for open water trophys. My pb 33, 11.7 # post spawn came from seagulls. Although, not as good as once was.

I've landed several 32.5 rainy river in spring .

Posted on: 2017/12/22 8:57

LSF Member
From West Fargo
I am heading up on Dec. 26 & 27 for a quick trip. Even though fishing has slowed down, it is still a great fishery; It is 1 of the 2 best walleye destinations in North America in my option and its only a 3 1/2 hour drive from my home.

Good fishing to all and Merry Christmas!

Posted on: 2017/12/22 8:58

LSF Member
From mora mn
I guess are there any big fish factories that are better now than 10-15 years ago?don't seem like it.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 9:37

LSF Member
From central mn
We have a few darn good walleye trophy lakes here in the states,lake Mcconanghy in western nebraska comes to mind,night bite,no slots,(5) daily limits,numerous 10 - 12lb walleyes fall night bite while on a pheasant hunting trip,then another well known trophy walleye lake is Ft Peck MT,MONSTER BOARD of walleyes from 10lbs to 15lbs.alot of these fish caught thru the ice on tipups,ranchers tell me they can have 5 lines in per person. Oh and no netts on these waters.

Tobin was a dandy hot spot back in the 90's,days long gone,if I remember right largest/record is 17lbs,local boy fron white bear lake has the world line record from tobin,Jim Klick 10.4oz dandy on 4lb test,but those days are gone to date.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 13:05

LSF Member
From Minnesota
My bad snow when you said state side I thought you meant just Minnesota. I remember the first 4-5 years going to Winnipeg and getting stopped at the boarder with all our fishing gear and the boarder patrol not believing us that we were going ice fishing on lake Winnipeg. People were fishing the river at the time but literally there was no body fishing the lake. We were staying at cats on the red which is now closed and I wonít go into the reasons we stopped going there. The owner who shall rename nameless talked about a few local guys giving the lake a try that winter and doing well. He thought we were nuts when we drilled a hundred holes that day and the amount of fish we were pulling up. Oh the memories.

Ret-ro you talk about the smelt population and I know that is another concern that they are talking about as the smelt have seen a large down turn. I believe they have even used the word crash when talking about smelt. Canuck May have more information about that. It is a Monster Lake and recreation fishing takes place on a very small percentage of the overall Lake. I know one thing you will never see a cooler colored walleye than a green back in the sun. Still an awesome fishery and would definitely recommend a trip there. Hopefully like ret-ro said they are able to find a balance sooner than later.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 17:21

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page