Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

DNR Lake Survey
LSF Member
From Jordan, MN
Does anybody use the data from the DNR through their lake finder?

Since it's a lot of toggling back and forth to look at multiple lakes, I am putting a list together to see county lakes info in one sheet. It also has links to the Google Map, Depth map in pdf, and link to the Lake Link site for that lake.

I thought others might be able to use it, if there was interest. It will only have the lakes that have the survey done on them. Let me know if there is any interest, or if something else can be added.

It would look like this...

Attach file:

png  carver example.PNG (13.42 KB)
12822_5a491b4795c73.png 1074X102 px

Posted on: 2017/12/31 12:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: DNR Lake Survey
LSF Member
From Minnesota
Would be cool to see.

Posted on: 2017/12/31 15:38

LSF Member
From Jordan, MN
It's still early, so it is rather limited. If there is a county someone would like added, please let me know. County tabs are on the bottom.

DNR Lake Survey

Posted on: 2017/12/31 17:33

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
The lake data on the DNR site is only useful if the survey was done in the last year or two. The last time I looked, data was too far out of date to be useful.

Posted on: 1/1 16:51:53

LSF Member
From Jordan, MN
Quite a few are recent. (2015 and 2016) Not sure when they put up 2017 data. I'm not expecting to ice exactly what they report, but it gives a good ballpark what is in there, and a little easier to see. Stocking reports are also being linked.

Take a peek or ignore. Just thought it might help some.

Posted on: 1/1 19:55:21

LSF Member
From Glyndon
Nice collection of data draven. I did something similar last summer for a multi-species competition and it was extremely valuable. Close to what you did, but with more species, being able to filter and sort by species and lake gave us "ranks" for different species, and helped cut down a lot of guess work.

Your addition of the lake map links is a good idea (we used Navionics)

I'll agree that really old reports start to fade in usability/reliability, but a lot of times you can see strong year-classes in the data and attempt to extrapolate.

Thanks for sharing. I don't live near you, but I think you'll find the data useful - good luck!

Posted on: 1/3 11:47:15

LSF Member
Ya kinda for fun I started to write a program to collect all that data. DNR has the data in JSON format if anyone is interested so you can query it yourself.

I pulled the data with the hopes to be able to "find lakes near me" that maybe I'd want to fish if I was in an area I was unfamiliar with. I haven't had the time to work on it much more but if you're technical and want to kick around some ideas PM me.

As of now I've pulled lakes by county and can pull survey data but I need to format in a useful way.

Posted on: 1/5 19:27:08

LSF Member
From Jordan, MN
Thanks for the positive feedback. I work on it when I have time, and on my one computer with multiple monitors. Easier to add the data that way.

I was thinking of trying to have a map as a GUI, and clicking on it will pop open a window with the data. Kind of like the ice-report app. I got lots of other projects that are taking a lot of my time, so it's just ideas right now.

If you have a way to scrape the data automatically, I'd be willing to chat with ya. Right now it's just manual entry.

Posted on: 1/6 19:45:15

LSF Member
I use it but it doesn't weigh heavily on my decision just a piece of the puzzle.

In my mind if you want big pan fish go to low population lakes. But I have been to lakes with low survey numbers and they have been good and bad and same with high survey numbers. For example
(the first set of numbers is the fish inches)
This lake is terrible
black crappie
0-5 - 357

6-7 - 147

8-9 - 314

10-11 - 143

12-14
This lake is insane
black crappie
0-5 - 1

6-7 - 2

8-9 - 4

10-11 - 3

12-14 - 4

One of my best walleye lakes I go to has a survey of 3 walleye
And yes recent reports

Posted on: 1/7 3:28:00

LSF Member
From Duluth
Good point Zach,,, never thought of it that way. It is fishin,,,,

Posted on: 1/7 5:25:28

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page