Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Clam auger conversion Kit
LSF Member
From St. Cloud
Hello. I'm getting a little out-of-whack with my auger issue.

I've been very disappointed with the Mag 2000 Strikemaster auger I bought over 10 years ago. I doubt I've drilled 75 holes with it and I've taken very good care of it. Out of the box it never started, ran smoothly. Had I been wiser I would have returned it. I use fresh gas, non-oxy actually, & stored it properly. Once again it won't start and I'm reluctant to put another $85 for carb. repair, which I suspect is the issue.

Has anyone tried the Clam auger conversion Kit? It cost about $70 and is made to convert a hand auger to being powered by an electric drill. I would need to buy the drill.
There are other, cheaper, conversion pieces out there to attach to drills, but they mount into a drill chuck. With the Clam the drill chuck is removed and the auger, I think, mounts directly into the drill. Less twisting of the wrist and more stability.

I'm not very muscular. I don't fish much and don't drill lots of holes, less than 10/outing.

Would it be wise to pay the $85, tune up the Mag and try to sell it OR try to sell it as is/non-running? Any suggestions on converting to a drill? I have a 6" Mora hand auger. I'm not willing to pay $500 for the ION as I just don't fish enough.
I'd like to convert the little Mora to electric if it would be reliable and affordable.
Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Posted on: 1/2 16:11:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Clam auger conversion Kit
I got one at the beginning of this year after fishing with my brother all last season and using his. I've probably drilled at least 80 holes with mine this year and love it. I run Dewalt DCD991 (Amazon $130, but got $25 off with the Dewalt special still may be going on, was drill only) and it has more than enough power. I have the new flexvolt 6ah batteries (Amazon $170, 2 batteries and fastcharger) and have used one battery without charging (besides the initial charge). You may not need as big of batteries as I got since usually pop 20-30 holes when I fish. Hope this helps with your decision.

Posted on: 1/2 18:08:43

I got one at the beginning of this year after fishing with my brother all last season and using his. I've probably drilled at least 80 holes with mine this year and love it. I run Dewalt DCD991 (Amazon $130, but got $25 off with the Dewalt special still may be going on, was drill only) and it has more than enough power. I have the new flexvolt 6ah batteries (Amazon $170, 2 batteries and fastcharger) and have used one battery without charging (besides the initial charge). You may not need as big of batteries as I got since usually pop 20-30 holes when I fish. Hope this helps with your decision.

Posted on: 1/2 18:09:00

LSF Member
From Monticello
marmooska,

Just so you are aware of it with the Clam Plates there is no longer a need to take the chuck off the drill. the drill hooks on to the spindle that runs through the bearing and then to your auger. the auger can either be bolted on with a allen head bolt (just like on a gas auger but a smaller diameter) or by using the wing bolt that holds the hand auger to the handle. also by not having to take the chuck off you have the ability to use the drill around the house for any other projects that might come up in the off season. one other thing to take into consideration to is that you will want to get the extension for the auger right away or you will be bending ove to drill your holes. other then that the plate set up is a very good thing to have. I have had one since they came out and no longer run gas augers unless we would get 3 plus foot thick ice. the recommended drills for the plate are either the Dewalt 996 or the Milwaukee M18 Fuel. 750 inch pounds is the recommended minimum torque for the drill so shop around for one that is 750 or more. either of these drills can be found for around $275.00 to $300.00 that will include the drill, 1 or 2 batteries and the charger.

Posted on: 1/2 21:29:41

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I would just ditch the gas auger. A friend had one and never could get that one to run right.

I like the hand drill and bit method. then you have a really nice drill you can use 12 months per year.

My bro in law has the clam adapter. I don't care for how the drill attaches. I have seen a simple one piece adapter for use with a hand auger. http://www.cabelas.com/product/STRIKEMASTER-ELECTRIC-ICE-DRILL-ADAPTER/1839634.uts?productVariantId=3927256&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03948652&rid=20&gclid=CjwKCAiA-KzSBRAnEiwAkmQ151-EBoAw7chS-yXMz6NxtMnLnFEjiMTSG0g11IJx8L77vEzwnkWkqBoCBuQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posted on: 1/2 23:10:41

Pro Staff
From Fosston, Mn
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
I would just ditch the gas auger. A friend had one and never could get that one to run right.

I like the hand drill and bit method. then you have a really nice drill you can use 12 months per year.

My bro in law has the clam adapter. I don't care for how the drill attaches. I have seen a simple one piece adapter for use with a hand auger. http://www.cabelas.com/product/STRIKEMASTER-ELECTRIC-ICE-DRILL-ADAPTER/1839634.uts?productVariantId=3927256&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03948652&rid=20&gclid=CjwKCAiA-KzSBRAnEiwAkmQ151-EBoAw7chS-yXMz6NxtMnLnFEjiMTSG0g11IJx8L77vEzwnkWkqBoCBuQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I had one of these attachments originally, but was always fearful i would lose my bit down the hole. I upgraded to the Clam drill plate this year and really like it's ease of use, but am picking up the extension this weekend (it really is needed!). Not sure how well it will work later in the season with how many holes I tend to drill, but I always have a gas backup if I need it.

Posted on: 1/3 9:44:54

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
Thank you for the responses. I tend to want to go with the clam adapter because I'm an older woman, not very muscular, and am concerned that my wrists would take a beating if I used the simple plain adapter. The clam, because of its handles, should be easier to control when drilling. I can see why the extension would be needed.

Posted on: 1/3 9:54:07

LSF Member
From Monticello
Marmooska if you are interested I would cut you a good deal on my Gen 1 clam plate with a Dewalt 995 on it along with a extension already. all you would need to buy is a Dewalt battery and charger for the drill (like $150 for one battery and the charger together give or take a little) $100 for the drill, plate, & extension. I am in Monticello and if you wanted too you can try it out before you buy it. we could run to the lake up the road from my house if you wanted to try it first.

Posted on: 1/9 19:35:41

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
Monticatgeek: Thank you so much for the offer. It's very nice of you. I went ahead and put new blades on my simple 6" mora hand auger. I've gone out twice so far. It cuts fairly well, with some effort and the ice isn't yet too thick. I admit I look for abandoned open holes and feel a bit limited in searching for fish. I also tend to go where the crowd is which hasn't paid off, but I just need to push myself and explore and put in the effort. I'm going to stick with the hand auger for now. I appreciate your offer, though, esp. that you'd let me try the system out. Thank you.

Posted on: 1/9 21:19:17

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page