Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Ice Castle Brakes
LSF Member
From Brooklyn Park
Hi guys,

I have a 2018 21' RV that i had out for the first time last weekend. everything went flawlessly all weekend (except for the participation of the fish) but when i went to leave, the brakes on the trailer were locked up. I was hooked up to it, i had another truck hooked up to me, the two of us couldn't move it. The breakaway cable had not been pulled, everything was hooked up correctly, I'm just at a loss. If i don't have a good connection to the truck (the plug fell in the snow and was pretty iced up but the lights on the house worked) would that do it? Would the slush and road grime from puling it up on friday and then it sitting all weekend, would that do it?

I'm going to have to go back up and get it, i just don't know where to start and what i need to bring for tools.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

Sog

Posted on: 1/3 9:26:35

Re: Ice Castle Brakes
LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
I'd first start with your truck's trailer break controller. Make sure it wasn't pushed/bumped for too much breaking power.

Posted on: 1/3 9:54:51

LSF Member
From Brooklyn Park
I should probably specify that i don't have an actual controller in the truck. First castle, not everything is set up perfectly yet.

Posted on: 1/3 10:09:30

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
did your brakes work going down the highway? If you don't have a controller in the truck, I'm not sure it's the brakes that are locked up as they need power to be activated.

you could check the power to the break away box mounted in the house. the one I have has a test light on it.

Posted on: 1/3 12:43:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Brooklyn Park
Yes, pulling was no issue. worked just fine up until i went to leave and i couldn't budge the house. It was -10 out, i just unhooked and left it there

Posted on: 1/3 16:55:18

LSF Member
I agree you should check the power to the breakaway box. Seems like something is not getting power. Could a wire got pulled loose when you picked it up? Where were you at?

Posted on: 1/3 20:33:32

LSF Member
From Brooklyn Park
Pulled the house from Brooklyn Park to Mille Lacs out of Randy's. I Flagged Randy down and he was the one who came and hooked up to my truck to try and get me going. I had the house hooked to the generator 100% of the time we were up there, so a fuse must have gone, a wire came loose, or there was some sort of other failure. Thank you for all the responses, luckily we're aren't going to get dumped on with snow or have some crazy ice storm that is going to make it hell to get it off.

Posted on: 1/4 10:17:57

LSF Member
From Monticello
Brakes need power to work.

Sorry, just seen it was from the 4th. Did ya get it figured out?

Posted on: 1/7 8:00:40

LSF Member
Try pulling the inline fuse located inside the house at the battery. The breakaway is powered by the house battery. This is typically located under the dinette seat labeled " trailer breaks". If you pull this fuse that shut cut power to the breaks and will release them.

I would look at the emergency breakaway cable/switch on the tongue.

Posted on: 1/7 21:18:47

LSF Member
From Monticello
Quote:

walleyefingers wrote:
Try pulling the inline fuse located inside the house at the battery. The breakaway is powered by the house battery. This is typically located under the dinette seat labeled " trailer breaks". If you pull this fuse that shut cut power to the breaks and will release them.

I would look at the emergency breakaway cable/switch on the tongue.

The breakaway doesn't have its own battery thats charged by the constant 12v on the vehicle?

Posted on: 1/8 7:55:59

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page