Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Honda EU2000i HELP??
LSF Member
So I have a question for some of you guys to see if any of you have any other ideas I have not tried. I have a Honda EU2000i generator I've owned it since new about 7 years ago. But I have intermittently had issues with it where its running fine sometimes for hours or days and all of a sudden it dies. Go back outside and sometimes just have to turn it to full choke pull a few times and it will start and run normal with full choke on then after 30 seconds - couple minutes the choke needs to be shut off again. Had it happen a few times where after it does the above cant get it started again so I open the gas drain on the bottom of the carb and let some fuel run out and close it back up, pull a few times and it starts back up and sometimes it wont? I have let it sit overnight when I cant get it running again and tried to start again in the morning and it will start back up like nothing ever happened and it will run for days??? The first few times this happened I brought it back to the dealer and they said the carb was dirty but after the second time I didnt believe them because how did the carb get dirty again after two months of using it. Still had them clean the carb again and a short while later it died AGAIN!! So I then brought it to a good friend who is a boat mechanic (40+ years) he looked at the carb and said there is nothing wrong with the carb its perfectly clean (all jets needles and seats were fine). I have always ran non-oxy gas in it, took good care of it, oil level is fine, its had the issue in both climates warm and cold, spark plug is fine and has been replaced, gas tank has been drained and cleaned, oil has been changed. So I am running out of ideas, the last thing I want to try when it happens again is that maybe the vent on the gas cap is bad and its getting a vapor lock, and if it happens again I would try loosening the gas cap and see if it starts and stays running. Sorry for the lengthy post on this and I hope it makes sense but I am beyond frustrated with this and curious if anyone has had similar issues or has any ideas. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 1/3 11:13:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Honda EU2000i HELP??
LSF Member
From Sandstone
Another thing to look at would be the air filter (pretty sure it has one). If you haven't swapped it out I would recommend that. I would also do as you were thinking and crack the gas cap and see if that helps.

Those generators are pretty rock solid.

Posted on: 1/3 12:03:34

LSF Member
I knew there was going to be something I would forget to add, yes I have checked the air filter as well.

And as you said SpecialK these generators have always had a great reputation and have always been rock solid (the whole reason I spent the $1000 buying one haha) but after 7 years of dealing with it I'm starting to think I got a lemon and might just have to sell it and pay the difference for a new one.

Posted on: 1/3 12:25:19

LSF Member
From North Metro/Ely/Grand Rapids
By chance have you checked for spark when it shuts down? That's the only thing that I can think of that you haven't already mentioned.

Posted on: 1/3 12:42:16

LSF Member
It sounds to me like you are getting vapor locked. does it happen when it is really cold?

Posted on: 1/3 14:11:26

LSF Member
I have checked in the past for spark when it died but that was a while ago and it still did.

The last two times it happened was last January ice fishing and yes it was about -20 and then again this fall grouse hunting and it was probably 50 degrees. The time it was -20 I couldn't get it to stay running after it ran for about 4 hours and then couldn't get it to start, tried to start it the next weekend and it fired right up. The same thing when it was 50 degrees also.

Posted on: 1/3 14:55:45

LSF Member
Air filter getting froze flooding out/choking out.(100 percent possitive!)Get a heater kit ( 9 watts i think.)You can build a box to run the generator in.Make sure you at least put it up off the ground.A box of some sort will really help to keep the intake air warm.My 2000 has done the same thing even in the back of a pickup when the wind/snow was blowing at it.That electric heater kit is hard to find in town but they are all over the net!!!!Good luck hope you figure it out!c63

Posted on: 1/3 15:01:45

LSF Member
Replace air filter.Even in warmer temps if the air filter is clogged the moist air(icing in winter) will have a hard time mixing with the fuel at the venturi in the carburetor. Happy days!!!c63

Posted on: 1/3 15:05:57

LSF Member
Breather heater kit 06390-z07-c20

Posted on: 1/3 15:38:17

LSF Member
3rd try, posts are disappearing. Be sure it's level and oil is 100% full or they cut out like your problem.

Posted on: 1/3 17:35:50

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page