Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Satellite Set up
LSF Member
From Princeton
Quote:

muskyhuntrj wrote:
The previous owner of house told me he had it correct up and down, just had to adjust east and west, but i tried that and i couldn't get any beeping or signals (not to mention it was cold as S last weekend) but i could have had settings wrong or something as well
'

A couple degrees can make a big difference up and down. try changing 2 degrees at time and then slowly move the dish back and forth. I believe you will need a HD dish if you have an HD receiver. When we got hd receivers, they had to change our dish.

Posted on: 1/16 14:56:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
they told me they longer have "non" hd boxes

Posted on: 1/16 17:28:56

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Ok, kinda late to this discussion but I think I can be of some help... at least if you're using directv

1. If your satellite box says "SWM" on it, you'll need a "SWM" dish in order for it to be compatible so look for that on the box, I think it's usually near where the power cord plugs in.

2. If your dish is round, as opposed to oval, it will not work with a "SWM" box. Thr reason is because of which satellites directv is using to acquire hd channels.

You have 2 options... get an old standard definition box or upgrade the dish to a SWM dish. Know that a SWM DISH requires ac power (runs through coax that plugs into dish) to receive signal. You can usually find these on ebay for roughly 1-200 $. They are more finicky to aim, but shouldn't be too bad as long as you're not taking it cross country, which will cause you to need to adjust the azimuth more frequently making it harder to dial in.

The old square boxes that have coax output should work with the round dish. They're the ones that have a little red coax "SWM" filter on the back of the input IF you're using it with a SWM dish, if not, the filter is unnecessary and likely won't be there.

If direct tv won't give you one if those SD boxes, you can buy them on ebay but beware, if it is still on an old account directv won't activate it So make sure wherever you're buying it offers returns or is a reputable store.

Hope that all helps, if you have dish network, I can't really help you there, but for $500 you can buy an hd dish that self aims so if you are constantly moving and aiming your dish that may be the way to go... I guess directv also has one, but it can only recieve sd channels and is not compatible with "SWM" devices

I hope this helps. Aiming satellite rushes when you're unsure of all of these things is s real pain in the ass and a lot of hours can be spent going absolutely nowhere.

Edit: forgot to mention there is an oval dish that also won't work work swm boxes, the one that has 4 separate lnb's is an old hd dish and not compatible with swm. You are looking for 1 lnb, with a green (usually) SWM sticker on it

Posted on: 1/17 8:19:31

LSF Member
Thank you, I have a round dish and have switched in the settings to 18" round but when it comes to what switch i have it can either be set to "SWM" or "Multi-Switch" Do you think I'm SOL with that dish? Another option is i go to my brothers and take his HD dish that he no longers uses off his roof

Posted on: 1/17 9:36:46

Staff Team
From S.E. MN
Muskyhuntrj,
Idea have you thought about a portable Directv (King) satellite dish?

Trick

Posted on: 1/17 9:58:49

LSF Member
I have not until just right now, they look to be pretty spendy I have the dish on the house already and used mother-in-laws extra box thru her service (7$/month) and was hoping to use the satellite that was already on the house. Looks like one of my friends has an HD dish laying around in his garage, i may make the swap to that dish. Only want to spend so much when it will mostly be dominated by Paw Patrol and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

Posted on: 1/17 10:19:24

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Quote:

Trick wrote:
Muskyhuntrj,
Idea have you thought about a portable Directv (King) satellite dish?

Trick

The king satellite (or any portable self aiming dish for directv) does not support hd programming or "SWM" boxes, so if it isn't a standard old school box, it won't work with this. By the sounds of it, original poster has a SWM box.

Muskyhuntrj - if you have the means snap a picture of the back of your box and I can identify it for you. Keep in mind there are 2 different hd dishes for directv, so the ones your people have may or may not be compatible. As well, be careful taking dishes off roofs, leave the base plate on or the odds of getting leaks are not in your favor.

Posted on: 1/17 11:05:27

LSF Member
The box is in my fish house so i wont be able to get that picture until this weekend. The dish my friend has is already off the roof, and was hoping i could leave my plate on my fish house and put the HD on the same mount, i am not sure if or how that works

Posted on: 1/17 12:01:24

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I can't confirm that, but I do know they use the same size post so in theory you should be able to make it work. As long as that little bubble level on the top will sit square you should be fine

Posted on: 1/19 0:29:06

LSF Member
I have no idea what the deal is with it. Box is an HR22-100, i could not for the life of me get it to read anything on the signal strength screen. I stopped at a friends and got his SlimeLine dish as well, had that one on the ground in snowbank trying to get it alligned, nothing. While i was at it i took the 18" round oval dish off the roof as well (left the plate attached to roof) and could not get that one to ever make any noise on the signal strength screen either. Various error codes for trouble communicating with satelitte, b-band convertors required? I have no clue what is going on

Posted on: 1/22 9:52:49

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page