Resorts & Lodging
Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Rice Lake in Maple Grove or Eagle? Or bust?
LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
I am taking out two families w/ kids from my work who have never ice fished. One family moved from California and the other didn't grow up in the outdoors (city slickers). I offered to take them out, because their kids are growing up on their iPads and phones, and it's sad. Rule #1, no electronics.

Anyways, I am looking for a good panfish lake, to keep the kids busy. Never fished the North Metro, but we work in Brooklyn Park, and will meet there. I was thinking Rice Lake because the lake data is good on Lake Finder. But when I drive by that lake, I NEVER see anyone on it... is it any good?

The other lake is Eagle, but I dont feel knowledgeable enough on a lake that deep to go out for the first time. Really don't want to get skunked.

If you have any other thoughts, let me know. Not looking for a hot spot, just point me in the right direction. I am only familiar with West Metro lakes...

Posted on: 1/22 10:39:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rice Lake in Maple Grove or Eagle? Or bust?
LSF Member
From Maple Grove
Wouldn't bother with Rice. That lake is as dead as it get's from a fishing stand point. I've heard rumors the city drops the water level significantly in the fall before the freeze. There isn't anything alive in that lake.

Eagle is a different story. Walleye, Pike & Plenty of Panfish.

Posted on: 1/22 10:57:22

LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
Thank you! Appreciate that heads up!

Posted on: 1/22 11:00:25

LSF Member
From St Michael
Weaver lake is also a decent option in that area.

Posted on: 1/22 11:28:07

LSF Member
If you can, I'd try scouting the day before. There are a ton of people who fish Eagle in the winter so I think that's going to be a good bet.

You do see some people on Rice from time to time, but not nearly enough as you should as compared to other lakes. I do remember for a few years ago there was always a Vikings permanent house out right there in full view of 94 but that's been gone for the past couple of years.

Posted on: 1/24 20:53:25

LSF Member
From Ogilvie mn
Eagle is by far the better choice. Lots of little c4appies everywhere and you have a good chance of hooking into some pike. Lots of Muskies to.

Posted on: 1/27 15:28:17

LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
Ok, I was all set on Weaver, but now thinking Eagle... How is the daytime bite on Eagle? We are fishing like Noon-3.

Posted on: 2/9 13:54:35

LSF Member
From Burnsville
I've usually been able to get fish during the day on Eagle. Not very big, but that's more of the norm in the metro. I've usually gone out over the deep hole on the southern end of the lake. There's a park over there that you can walk out from. It's the known "crappie spot" and they generally move around in schools out there. Eagle gets busy on weekends, so it's pretty easy to "follow the crowd".

Weaver has been hit or miss in my experience regardless of the time of year. Either I do really well without much work, or its like I'm fishing the dead sea.

If you're running any tipups, keep in mind that Eagle has muskies and Weaver has tiger muskies. If you hook one, please handle them carefully. The season is closed on them as well, so make sure you can identify the differences before keeping anything.

Rice lake suffers from winter kill and algae blooms. It's a pretty nasty lake to fish in. I've paddled a canoe in there from the park to the north during the summer and caught panfish, but both the fish and the lake had some funky colors going on.

Posted on: 2/9 15:12:43

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page