Resorts & Lodging
Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Sleeper House Reconmendations - again....
LSF Member
Hey All,

Trying to book a last minute trip up to LOW because my calendar just got messed up for my late February early March trip. We typically just rent a cabin and run and gun with portables where ever we can find fish. But circumstances are going to make that tougher this year.

So, I am looking for recommendations on the best sleeper house outfits. Who is staying on the fish? Have the best service? Accommodations?

I see a lot of posts for Fred's Beds, and I have a friend that has used Lyon Sleepers in the past. And I know there are a lot more to choose from, but good LSF word of mouth recommendations have worked well for me in the past, so asking again!!!

Thanks for any input

Posted on: 1/24 9:23:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Sleeper House Reconmendations - again....
LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
From personal experience, I would absolutely recommend Fred's Beds. I've stayed with Nels for the better part of a decade and he runs a great operation. The business is all family owned, with Nels running the sleepers and Al and Michelle, his parents, running Morris Point Lodge. The resort has a full bar and restaurant, and Nels recently opened a shower house/laundromat and liquor store less than a mile from the resort property.

As far as the sleepers, Nels has done a good job over the years of phasing out older/smaller houses to make newer, larger ones. We were up there 3 weeks ago and had a 4 man, 10x20 house for the 3 of us. The space was great and we all came home with a limit. The prices are also very reasonable, as he hasn't raised them in the last 3 or so years since we've been up there.

The houses have an indoor toilet (bucket), a tv, dvd player, some have ovens and cooktops, others just have cooktops. Everything is wired for a generator if you have one which is nice to run the tv, electric lights, fan, etc. Otherwise, there are propane lights, propane heater and propane cooktop.

Nels and his crew will check on you in the morning and the evening and are always responsive if you need anything.

The best change recently has been that Fred's Beds has made their own plowed road off of the main Morris Point Road. It gets the fish houses to an area that has much less commotion and fishing pressure. We will continue going back there as we had nothing but great experiences.

Just to highlight the service, 3 years ago our truck wouldn't start the morning we were leaving. Nels dropped everything, towed us to the resort, opened up his heated shop, let us park the truck in there to warm up for a few hours while we had breakfast. He didn't have to do that, but he wanted to make sure our experience ended well, even though none of it was his fault. He works his tail off for everyone.

Posted on: 1/24 9:47:03

LSF Member
Thanks TightLine,

We have stayed at Morris Point many times, and I have had no complaints with them. I did not know Fred's Beds was associated with them, that is good to know. I really appreciate the recommendation and the insight.

Posted on: 1/24 9:51:32

LSF Member
From South Central MN
If I may add my piece, I stayed at Arnesens last year with my dad, brother, my son and my brothers buddy. My son and dad and I had a 10x20 as did my brother and his buddy. We all had good fishing and was something I/we will never forget. We all came home with walleyes and even some jumbo perch which was really nice. They checked up on us each day and were very nice to deal with. Amenities were nice and can't wait to be able to do it again. I would definitely recommend them to anyone and look forward to getting there again.

Posted on: 1/24 17:10:31

LSF Member
Thanks for all the recommendations. I called all of the businesses recommended, plus more. Unfortunately, I could not connect with Nels at Freds Beds and he never returned my call.

I ended up booking with Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman (JP) after several good reviews.

I will post a report after my trip next week.

Posted on: 1/28 14:43:26

LSF Member

Posted on: 1/29 10:14:18

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page