Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Marcum Clarity
LSF Member
From Princeton
I'm not looking to start a bashing war, but just looking for some hoest feedback. I have a Marcum LX3. I have had it since 2003. It was mostly used on Red Lake (4-5 times a year in 14 FOW or less) over the past 9 years and seemed to work flawlessly. A lot of times the vexilars next to me had issues rejecting the interference (when they started buying the higher end vexilars, this problem went away). Last year I bought a skid house on mille lacs. One of the first things I noticed last year, was that when i moved out to 20+FOW, I had difficulty getting a good clear screen. I would watch Marcum videos and they would tell me to adjust the gain to where one bar shows represents the jig and it does not disappear/fade out when jigging. This was difficult to do and I would often pick up other clutter. I would usually need to have two bars represent the jig. The vexilars seemed to always have a clearer screen. My son had an LX 7 and would not experience these difficulties.

This year the motor went out on my LX3. I sent it in for repair and hoped this would solve the problem. It didn't I still need two bars to keep my jig from fading out. I also get a lot of clutter when I first let the line down. Lots of marks on the screen gong toward teh surface. After a couple of minutes this clears up and I do get a clear view but still need two bars representing my jig.

Do other marcum users experience this?

Posted on: 1/24 11:37:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Marcum Clarity
LSF Member
Maybe try a new transducer

Posted on: 1/24 14:10:09

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I think it depends on your transducer cone angle to be honest. I have used all brands, and what I can say is most of the time if there's an issue with picking up clutter, it's due to a wide cone angle vs depth. I have a humminbird Ice45. Most of the time if I'm 20ft or deeper, using the wide angle works but as you are describing it picks up more clutter. The wider angle incorporates much more water column at 20ft than it does at 13-14 like on Red Lake, so you're going to see a lot of garbage that you can't tune out with the gain because it might be the same size or so as your smallest jig. If you change your cone angle in deep water to be narrower, like 9 or 12degree, you're going to get a much stronger signal from your lure, and you'll be able to tune out the other stuff. You will also get a better bottom signal and be able to judge whether you're on solid or soft bottom, which on Mille Lacs can be in close proximity and very important. That's my take.

Posted on: 1/24 14:39:27

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Try a different battery. I had issues with my H-55. A new battery solved the issue even though it seemed like the battery was ok.

Basically trade part with know working units to see if the issue moves with parts.

Posted on: 1/24 14:42:01

LSF Member
From Princeton
Thanks for trying to help guys,

The Battery on my LX3 is two weeks old. I believe it has a 12 degree cone angle that cannot be adjusted.

Posted on: 1/24 14:55:51

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
If you have a buddy or family member or something that has a narrower transducer that will fit yours I'd give that a try once and see. I don't know what Marcum has for angles, but I think my humminbird is 9 and 19, and there's a huge difference. 12 is good for all around, but it will be different with an 8 or 9 degree cone.

Posted on: 1/24 15:19:28

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

Roddy wrote:
Thanks for trying to help guys,

The Battery on my LX3 is two weeks old. I believe it has a 12 degree cone angle that cannot be adjusted.

Some of those batteries can be 1.5 yrs old when they are sold. That is the case for most stores that sell them by the pallet load.

Posted on: 1/24 16:18:03

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I will be on Rush this weekend and have a LX3. If you want to stop over we can switch parts and see if the problem stays or follows.

Posted on: 1/24 16:19:33

LSF Member
From Princeton
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
I will be on Rush this weekend and have a LX3. If you want to stop over we can switch parts and see if the problem stays or follows.

Thanks for the offer but I'm hoping to be on Mille Lacs Friday night through Sunday.

Posted on: 1/24 16:30:06

LSF Member
From Duluth
Have the same problem with my LX-1,@ the same age. Decided to buy a new one couple years ago and bought another brushless at the sporting show last month. There all LX-1. The way electronics are figured it would be better to get a new one,glad I did, but know exactly what you’re talking about. Was very frustrating til the new one .Good luck

Posted on: 1/24 17:26:10

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page