Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Red Lake roads
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Sorry for a likely retread topic, but. A friend of mine and I are heading to Red this weekend. I go up every year, and every year we pretty much go out of West Winds and stay in one of their sleeper houses. This is the first DIY trip I'm taking with the wheel house I finished building last year. I'm traveling from the SW, my friend will be coming from the SE, and we're trying to figure out which resort with roads we want to use. My default thought is West Winds because they have a decent bait shop, cleaning house, it's easy, I know their system yada yada. But, not knowing anything about the other places, doesn't seem like a good enough reason not to ask the question - who might be better and why? Just looking for road information, not lodging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 1/24 14:53:39

Re: Red Lake roads
LSF Member
My self and usually a buddy or two have pulled our wheel houses out of West Wind, Rogers and Hillman. And we all agree in our opinion hands down West Wind is the best for us. Seems like we always have good fishing there, roads are good, staff is nice, place is up kept, great service in the bar etc. It seems to me like most go out of Rogers, which is why we decided to try it there and our experience was fishing was pretty slow (given that changes on a daily basis), place seemed pretty run down, roads were nice, about four dumpsters outside were completely buried in garbage (literally!) Staff was not very friendly, long waits for bait drinks etc.

With that said this is just the experience that my buddies and I have had up on Red and we prefer to go out of West Wind. Just our

Posted on: 1/24 15:18:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Duluth
Would say that Iíve had the same experience for years as L4S,but have been hearing good things about Beacon Harbor also,am thinking about trying it out. But the facilities at WW are pretty nice.

Posted on: 1/24 17:34:55

LSF Member
After X-mas Beacon Harbor closes its road to paying customers only. Meaning, you have to rent a sleeper, cabin or day shack from them in order to use their roads.

You CAN NOT pay a road access fee and go out on your own.

Great place to stay and the fishing was much better than the south shore. More than likely the result of a drastic decrease in traffic compared to the other resorts. Great fishing and great customer service. It's the only place I'll stay up on Red.

Posted on: 1/24 17:59:44

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Thanks for the advice guys. We're not renting so we won't be using Beacon Harbor. Although I'd like to go out of their rentals sometime because I hear a lot of good things. I think we'll just stick with the West Wind plan then. I like their facilities and that's probably why it was the default choice. I know it'll be busy but, hopefully the fishing is good. I'll try and give a report while we're out.

Posted on: 1/25 10:35:54

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page