Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Which one Ion or Ionx????
LSF Member
Ion or Ionx????What is the difference and how do they hold up now that they've been out a while?I used one(Ionx) the other day with a fresh charge seems slow cutting to me.Drilled 6 holes 19" of ice seemed to slow down after just the second hole.Honest open reviews would be appreciated.Seems like a lot to spend on an item used maybe 8 to 10 weeks a year.c63

Posted on: 1/24 16:59:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Which one Ion or Ionx????
LSF Member
Is there anybody out there??????????????????????

Posted on: 1/25 9:14:31

LSF Member
I have a 2012 ION. I drill about 20 holes every weekend during the season in the wheelhouse. I have never noticed a power drop off over the weekend. I recharge the battery when I get home. Still using the origonal battery that it came with. 100% satisfied. I believe the only difference the X has reverse.

Posted on: 1/25 9:23:07

LSF Member
From Grand Forks
This is my second season using the ION X, and I have no regrets with my purchase. I have not ever used an ION.

One big difference between the two is the batteries. The 8" ION X claims to cut up to 1600 inches of ice on a single charge, while the 8" ION claims to drill through up to 1000 inches on a single charge.

While there are some other differences between the two, battery life was the deciding factor for me. In my experience using my ION X I don't remember my battery dying on me in one day, which includes drilling 50-60 holes (I don't recall ice depth). I know some guys drill more, but it works for what I do.

I know what you mean when you say it seems to cut slow. It's something I had to get used to, but it just keeps drilling. I will say if you keep the battery as warm as possible, it does help with this. I've used strikemaster's electric auger and it does cut faster, but I think the ION X cuts smoother and is lighter.

Hope this helps!

Posted on: 1/25 9:35:37

LSF Member
From New Ulm
ION has reverse as well because mine does and its just the normal ION. Mine I purchased in 2015 works great, same battery since new. I bought the ION battery bag with it and when I am not drilling holes I just keep it warm in my sled, I also tend to charge it nightly or every other night. Never had a performance problem with it as long as you are cutting right. Face the handle bars away from you for easier gripping and don't put any weight pressing down on it and let it rip. If you are looking to get one I would recommend getting the ION and not the IONX. No need to spend the extra $110 as the batteries on the original Ions work great. I think the one perk of the IONx is that it re-opens holes a little better with the different base at the bottom the auger. The only complaint I have with my original Ion is that is does not re-open holes well.

Posted on: 1/25 9:55:06

LSF Member
This is my 3rd year with the ION. I have the 40Volt battery. Yesterday we drilled 12 holes through 40" of ice. I left the battery attached to the unit in the back my truck when I got home, got busy and forgot it. I just checked it and 2 of the 3 lights on.

Yes it may cut slower but LOVE LOVE LOVE that reverse especially with the thick ice we have this year.

Will admit I do not want to run out of battery life so carry a 2nd battery as insurance but like all good insurances I have never had to use it.

Posted on: 1/25 18:40:35

LSF Member
You must be in Canada.I fish millelacs and we have no where near 40 of ice

Posted on: 1/26 2:20:08

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
There is one other slight difference between the X and regular ION that no-one mentioned. It has a little bit smaller profile in the handles. It's nice for getting into the tight corners of a wheelhouse, but I haven't used the regular ION so I'm not sure if that's an actual issue or not.

I have the 10 inch blade and it slows down a little in deeper ice but just keeps trucking through. I raced my old 8" gas auger and lost, but not by enough to be disappointed. I think i can attribute most of the slower speed to th 10" vs 8" blade. I think if I went 8 vs 8 i would only be a couple seconds behind.

If you're not chomping at the bit to have the drill tomorrow, I would wait until the st. Paul ice show next year. I got my ION X for a little less than 550 there this year.

Also. Haven't drained the battery yet and I'm not religious about charging it. I don't think there's many situations where I could even have a chance of using the whole battery In a day. The fishing would have to be TERRIBLE!

Posted on: 1/26 7:29:38

LSF Member
Yep. I live near Selkirk and try fish laje Wpg ar least once a week. We have very little snow cover

Posted on: 1/26 23:49:13

LSF Member
Are people still having issues with ice build up on the bottom of the ion x?

Posted on: 1/30 14:58:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page