Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Road Pass Prices
LSF Member
Quote:

harley276 wrote:
Twisted why are you even close to any resorts you have all the answers you should be off on your own with out any help at all.

Ding ding ding. You're catching on! :)

Posted on: 1/31 23:02:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I get it now. Yeah I think if a resort told me I needed a pass to physically be on the road I'd have a few words. You were polite in offering to have the CO help clarify, I'm not sure I'd have had the patience. I've just never run into that. Unlike a few entitled folks out there, I know what I'm paying for, and that is access. I paid $30 last weekend at West Wind to get on Red, as did my buddy as he drove his rig as well. By no means do we expect our own spot to be plowed for free, rescue from a drift for free, a jumpstart for free, or to have the resort check on us to see how we're doing. My argument about shut up and pay is if you feel confident enough to go out from a public access and get yourself in trouble, you cant complain that a resort won't drop their hat to come get you. at least if you're somewhere just off the resort road they can find you, and the pass you paid for has a phone number on it. Still doesn't mean its free or a guarantee. It's ****ty for the resort in your post to not help. But I can't believe thats the norm.

Posted on: 1/31 23:04:56

LSF Member
he voted for her

Posted on: 1/31 23:09:02

LSF Member
Quote:

arneb04 wrote:
I get it now.

I simply want to get on the ice then fish away from the crowd. It might be 4 or 5 days and at a spot 30+ miles away when I leave the ice.
I'll pay 10, 20 or 50 if that's what they decide it costs to cross private property but I don't want to pay a private person that will be providing me no services to be on the lake for those days.
It's not the money but a matter of principle. A private lake would be an entire different story and we keep getting closer to that.

Posted on: 1/31 23:18:21

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I paid $30 this last weekend. $15 per day. I crossed their land to get on the lake the first day, I crossed their land to get off the lake the second day. If I was going to be there 3 days, I probably would have had to pay another $15. How could they ensure I won't trespass their property on the middle day? Or how would they issue me a pass to cross only on the days I choose? On the flip side, they could choose to charge for every single crossing of the property which might be twice for some people, or 18 for others. Somehow I don't think this snowballs into private lake ownership. It's like a commodity. They got it, we don't.

Posted on: 1/31 23:29:09

LSF Member
Good points. I'll leave it at that before my fan club runs out of material.

Posted on: 1/31 23:37:49

LSF Member
My posts for this thread have been on the side of supporting the resorts for the hard work they put in.

But in support of Twisted's argument. About 10 years back I rented a sleeper house on Red, the entire experience was great, first time sleeper rental, even the 2'-3' wave the lifted our shack at 2am was exciting. The day we were packing up to leave, it was -10 with 30 mph winds and we had received 4-6" of snow over night, so drift city. Well, no the drive in we found out what the wave was caused from, an ice heave collapsed, blocking the road and had drifted full. We followed another truck parallel to the heave a few hundred yards to another road, where they had put in a bridge across the heave. That resort was charging every vehicle that wanted to cross $20. One guy just drove over it, and the guy collecting took off after him, so we just drove over, pulled off the road a bit, setup with our portable and fished for a while. Caught our limit of Walleye in about 1 hour, and watched this guy charge a couple of hundred vehicles to cross his bridge.

Now I don't know the rules about bridges on lakes, I assume it is the same as the road, where it is on public property and therefore not private. But this guy profited greatly taking advantage of a bad situation for the people he was fleecing. So I have seen it. That said, there was still no other way to get off the lake for these people.

Posted on: 2/1 8:31:23

LSF Member
oh my twisted has to send pm`s

Posted on: 2/1 9:41:09

LSF Member
Quote:

F6firecat wrote:
My posts for this thread have been on the side of supporting the resorts for the hard work they put in.

But in support of Twisted's argument. About 10 years back I rented a sleeper house on Red, the entire experience was great, first time sleeper rental, even the 2'-3' wave the lifted our shack at 2am was exciting. The day we were packing up to leave, it was -10 with 30 mph winds and we had received 4-6" of snow over night, so drift city. Well, no the drive in we found out what the wave was caused from, an ice heave collapsed, blocking the road and had drifted full. We followed another truck parallel to the heave a few hundred yards to another road, where they had put in a bridge across the heave. That resort was charging every vehicle that wanted to cross $20. One guy just drove over it, and the guy collecting took off after him, so we just drove over, pulled off the road a bit, setup with our portable and fished for a while. Caught our limit of Walleye in about 1 hour, and watched this guy charge a couple of hundred vehicles to cross his bridge.

Now I don't know the rules about bridges on lakes, I assume it is the same as the road, where it is on public property and therefore not private. But this guy profited greatly taking advantage of a bad situation for the people he was fleecing. So I have seen it. That said, there was still no other way to get off the lake for these people.

I suppose he was charging people to use his personal property which is his bridge material but that could probably be argued. Either way its still a D move on his part to charge $20 a vehicle to allow people off the lake.

There is more than one resort on the big destination lakes that are pretty cut throat. I've heard many stories of resort trucks plowing people in that used a public access to access the resort roads. Ive heard stories of resort trucks essentially bullying people for using "their" part of the lake. I've also heard of resort trucks plowing a public access to block it from being used to force everyone to use their paid access. There are a lot of good people running good resorts but there are some that are also run by complete D-bags.

Posted on: 2/1 11:57:53

LSF Member
To me it's simple,if the acess fee is to steep don't use them. If reasonable use it. Sooner or later they will come around or go down. I want to give a shout out to Long Point Resort. They have a reasonable fee and over the years I've had issues during blizzards and with ice heaves. Trapped on the lake they have never refused to save my butt even though i might have done something stupid. I've always offered them a cash thank you. Sometimes they've accepted sometimes not. They are decent people, they have my vote. Adrians is also on my list.

Posted on: 2/1 14:34:04

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page