Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Road Pass Prices
LSF Member
The resorts need to up the charge. As a wheelhouse owner who plans to start trucking to lotw instead of using resort houses, I believe $30 a day minimum is fair, or less but limit them to stay out of the resorts fishing area. Nothing worse than a group paying $4-600 for the day and a portable or wheelhouse setting up 50 feet away for $10. It is losing clientele for these resorts.

Posted on: 1/25 16:31:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From S.E. MN
$10.00 per day on Adrians access.
Well worth it IMO, if you stay at Adrians Resort you will get the road pass included in your cabin/bait/ fish house rental.
The Adrians know the lake.
Enough said!
Trick

Posted on: 1/25 17:13:10

LSF Member
Quote:

milkman7 wrote:
The resorts need to up the charge. As a wheelhouse owner who plans to start trucking to lotw instead of using resort houses, I believe $30 a day minimum is fair, or less but limit them to stay out of the resorts fishing area. Nothing worse than a group paying $4-600 for the day and a portable or wheelhouse setting up 50 feet away for $10. It is losing clientele for these resorts.

They can charge more to access the lake via their land if they want but once on the lake they have no ability to limit where people go or fish since they don't own the lake.

Largely I think most resorts do pretty well by selling road passes. Most resorts seem to be booked every weekend of the winter on the big lakes like LOW and URL. Wheel houses haven't seemed to hurt that business they just allow them another revenue stream by selling them road passes.

These resorts running sleeper houses are also plowing roads no matter what. If they sell 0 road passes or 1000 during the winter the bulk of the roads still need to get plowed because without a good network of plowed roads they can not service their own rental house customers.

By charging wheel houses $40/50 a weekend to access the roads via their land all they are doing is opening a 2nd revenue stream that doesn't add that much additional work. They don't need to check on you, they don't need to bring you bait or keep your propane tanks full. All they do is take your money and let you cross their land.

Sure they'll probably plow a few roads shooting off their main road and plow spots for some wheel houses to go but the vast majority of the work (plowing main road, bridging pressure ridges etc) is done already so they can service their rental customers. During winters when there is little snow lake travel is possible without plowing they still collect those road fees and its pretty much all pure profit during those times.

Posted on: 1/25 17:30:59

LSF Member
From Albertville
We use Adrians road but get a pass from our resort that we stay at, lncluded in our package,once ur on the lake I don't think Adrians have any say where you go or what you do.Does anyone know how far they plow out,of course to pine island then I think everybody snakes off from there ?

Posted on: 1/25 21:22:26

LSF Member
From Balsam Township
Nobody is bitching about $10 road passes.

What Iím salty about is when these resorts charge a crazy amount for roads, and do nothing for wheelhouses.
I couldn't tell you how many times Iíve paid a hefty premium for a road pass, for 3 miles of roads that have 3 foot ďcurbsĒ with no spots for wheelhouses. How many times have I followed these roads that I paid for, to realize I have to Baja over a drift to surely get stuck if I want to fish on their chunk of the lake. The resorts don't take care of this, it's always my buddies and me shoveling a path to get out.

How many times have I followed a road to find itís a dead end, and I have to back a 20í trailer a 1/2 mile back, only to have to fish next to their resort houses? What am I paying for?

Oh and how about Dennyís Resort on Winnie charging my friend $25 for his wheelhouse, and me $30 twenty minutes later?

We donít want to fish next to those resort houses. I didnít spend thousands on a house and pay ($$$) to access their roads to fish next to their used up resort house areas.

Donít give me the bs about them pulling you out if you get stuck or if you fall in. If you fall in, those resorts will distance themselves as far as they can from you.
And if you get stuck because they didnít offer you a spot, take the next day off because they wonít be there for 24 hours or more to pull you out.

Dennyís on Winnie, Hunters on Mille Lacs, and Rogers on Red are all guilty.

Posted on: 1/25 22:01:04

LSF Member
From Balsam Township
For the record, I DO agree that Lake of the Woods is a different animal. Having a road 20+ miles out takes some real effort.

Posted on: 1/25 22:13:32

LSF Member
At the rate these resorts are going out of business, or how many of them are always for sale, changing ownership, I don't think they are making a fortune on road access passes.

Just think the up keep/maintenance on those plow trucks, I can't even imagine. And it really is out of their goodness that they are doing it at all, that and to make a few bucks sure. But they could take that money and invest in track vehicles and haul their clients out to the shacks in them, with no roads. Then where does that leave you wheel house guys??

Pulling your $40K fishouse, with your $60K truck, and complaining about a $30 road access pass, wow?

And I have no skin in the game, I snowmobile with portables and don't use the roads or road accesses, and even I have some compassion for the resorts that are maintaining those roads!!

Posted on: 1/26 8:41:34

LSF Member
From I-FALLS, MN
Firecat,

Some of the resorts struggle because they are mismanaged. Case in point, WigWam was my "go to" resort for 20+ years, good service, good food, it's the only place i would go. After Tom sold it went in the tank. Poor Customer Service, food sucked, and we eventually stopped going. I never saw the owner there. We started going to River Bends where the food and service are great. I hope someone buys it but 2.5 million is alot of money for that old of a resort. and again, i'm not complaining about the $10. and the wheelhouse movement has done nothing but add new business.

Posted on: 1/26 9:29:55

LSF Member
I would say the bulk of the resorts on LOW and URL are doing fairly well. If they aren't then its likely due to their own mismanagement. I've run into some really poor service on all of the destination lakes that makes me wonder how they can possibly stay in business. I think some of the bad places are being propped up by the fact that the good ones are completely booked and the overflow has to go somewhere so even the bad places stay busy.

If places are being sold I think it has more to do with the fact that most of the resorts I've seen are being run by people who are retirement age. Its a lot of work to run a resort and the work can be physically demanding so the older guys look to get out of it at some point.

Really I have no problem with a $10 or $20 access fee. With or without an access fee I realize most places aren't making huge money given the amount of work they put in. However, I do think most of the road access money is essentially a bonus for them. Think back 20 years ago before the big wheel house boom. Resorts where already plowing miles of roads, maintaining their plow trucks, and hauling out their rental houses and they were still profitable without all of these wheelhouses paying access fees. Now they're still plowing those same roads, maintaining the same trucks, and hauling their same rentals but now they've got hundreds of people giving them extra money each weekend and the resorts don't have to do much if any additional work.

Posted on: 1/26 10:14:02

Staff Team
From S.E. MN
Quote:

dad281 wrote:
We use Adrians road but get a pass from our resort that we stay at, lncluded in our package,once ur on the lake I don't think Adrians have any say where you go or what you do.Does anyone know how far they plow out,of course to pine island then I think everybody snakes off from there ?

dad281,

Adrianís road goes out 13+ miles that being said using there access gives you access to other roads if they happen to intersect. Other resorts, hotels, lodges etc. help to maintain the roads by using Adrianís access according to there contracts with Adrianís.
Adrianís is one of the first resorts to test the ice thickness, stake the roads and make recommendations of how far to go out on the lake etc.
Adrianís owns a huge chunk of the shoreline, pays an enormous amount of taxes and is very much involved in the LOTW Association.

Hats off to the Adrian family! Marlene, Darlene, Brian, Cory, ďTootsieĒ and there staff including the unforgettable Keith the bartender!

Be safe!
Trick

Posted on: 1/26 11:17:01

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page