Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

"Mr. Walleye" Trophy | LOTW
LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
A group of high school buddies and some of their family make an Annual trip up to Baudette, MN to fish Walleyes on Lake of the Woods. I look forward to this trip every year! Since this is an Annual Trip we all put some money and bragging rights on the line for the Angler who can catch the biggest fish of the weekend, take home the Trophy & $500 Cash and call themselves "Mr. Walleye" for the year. It was a tight race going into the last day with not many Slot Fish caught but one bite is all it takes...

What type of annual trips or traditions do you guys have?

To watch a video of the day's action, Click HERE

Posted on: 1/26 11:59:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: "Mr. Walleye" Trophy | LOTW
Staff Team
That is a great tradition and nothing better than fishing with old friends on an Annual event. I have been lucky enough to have fished with the same guys that I have known for over 45 years and have been able to make it to Gullrock every year except one for the last 27 years. We have our Annual fish fry on Tuesday every year and I smoke a 20lb or bigger Turkey on the weber every year. We were once 11 or twelve and hanging in the halls together now we are closing in on 60 years old and we always have a great time and talk about all the old days.
Great thread and hope others chime in on their Annual get togethers on where they go and how long the tradition has been going on. I am lucky to have life long friends that are still on this Earth to go fishing with.............Kirk

Posted on: 1/26 12:37:55

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
Had a group that did spring Canada trip every year for about 9 years. Broke from that group to start a tradition with my boys 3 years ago. This spring will be the 4th year going with them. been doing a little searching to find the perfect place to go each year. We hope we found it this year heading to Gullrock lake too.

Our traditions in camp are doing fish balls and blackened walleye on the grill. As the kids get older and can contribute we will get back into the shorelunch on the beach every day. Until then the standard lunch is to pull up on shore and have a sandwich while they explore.

Had a winter group that we started doing a winter trip to LOW. One had a baby and the other a job transfer so that one is on hold for a bit.

Posted on: 1/26 21:51:40

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Quote:

Kirk wrote:
That is a great tradition and nothing better than fishing with old friends on an Annual event. I have been lucky enough to have fished with the same guys that I have known for over 45 years and have been able to make it to Gullrock every year except one for the last 27 years. We have our Annual fish fry on Tuesday every year and I smoke a 20lb or bigger Turkey on the weber every year. We were once 11 or twelve and hanging in the halls together now we are closing in on 60 years old and we always have a great time and talk about all the old days.
Great thread and hope others chime in on their Annual get togethers on where they go and how long the tradition has been going on. I am lucky to have life long friends that are still on this Earth to go fishing with.............Kirk

Wow, that is a heck of a tradition Kirk! Sounds like an awesome time!!!

Posted on: 1/29 9:59:59

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Quote:

Gunther wrote:
Had a group that did spring Canada trip every year for about 9 years. Broke from that group to start a tradition with my boys 3 years ago. This spring will be the 4th year going with them. been doing a little searching to find the perfect place to go each year. We hope we found it this year heading to Gullrock lake too.

Our traditions in camp are doing fish balls and blackened walleye on the grill. As the kids get older and can contribute we will get back into the shorelunch on the beach every day. Until then the standard lunch is to pull up on shore and have a sandwich while they explore.

Had a winter group that we started doing a winter trip to LOW. One had a baby and the other a job transfer so that one is on hold for a bit.

My dad and I have always been talking about doing a fly-in summer fishing trip to Canada since I was in high school, 14 years later and we've never pulled the trigger. This post is a reminder that I need to get that scheduled ASAP. I have no idea on where to start planning for this trip. Do you think you could message me on what resort you stay at on Gullrock Lake by chance?

Posted on: 1/29 10:04:39

Staff Team
We stay at Procycks Anglers Paradise lodge formerly Mckewens and before that Cooks Camp. The guys I fish with started going here over 50 years ago started by their Dad. I was in the Army so did not start until 1991. Great Lake, great owners and cabins are really nice. Let me know if you need anything and if you decide to make a trip, I will send you a detailed map of some spots we have had luck on through the years.........Kirk

Posted on: 1/29 10:58:42

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From Glyndon
Awesome!

My family (mostly uncles, cousins and brothers) compete throughout the year for the "Top Gun" award, which we vote on at the end of the year. Winner gets the top gun hat to wear the next year, and some of us have Top Gun patches on our fishing jackets that we put additional stars next to for each time won.

No cash prize, but it's been a fun 17 year tradition!

I think almost every time any combination of us fish together we do the popular "First, Most, Biggest" bet for a dollar or so each, but we often end up just paying eachother in

Posted on: 1/30 10:48:24

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Quote:

Kirk wrote:
We stay at Procycks Anglers Paradise lodge formerly Mckewens and before that Cooks Camp. The guys I fish with started going here over 50 years ago started by their Dad. I was in the Army so did not start until 1991. Great Lake, great owners and cabins are really nice. Let me know if you need anything and if you decide to make a trip, I will send you a detailed map of some spots we have had luck on through the years.........Kirk

Thanks Kirk! I will definitely let you know if we wind up booking a trip up there. I just started a folder and bookmarked a few resorts (Procycks being one of them) to start my search!

Posted on: 1/31 9:42:32

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Quote:

Tharemy wrote:
My family (mostly uncles, cousins and brothers) compete throughout the year for the "Top Gun" award, which we vote on at the end of the year. Winner gets the top gun hat to wear the next year, and some of us have Top Gun patches on our fishing jackets that we put additional stars next to for each time won.

No cash prize, but it's been a fun 17 year tradition!

I think almost every time any combination of us fish together we do the popular "First, Most, Biggest" bet for a dollar or so each, but we often end up just paying eachother in

Awesome! The Bragging Rights are priceless among family!

Posted on: 1/31 9:43:41

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page