Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Current Conditions?
LSF Member
From Pennock
Planning on making my way up to upper red for 4th year in a row next week,always have gone out of West Wind and with good luck every year, was wondering how much snow was on the lake and what is the average ice thickness?

Posted on: 1/29 11:28:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Current Conditions?
LSF Member
When I was up there last weekend there was over 2ft of ice and off road travel was fine as long as you watched out for wind blown ice. Fishing was excellent as well. We searched for a hour or two and then once we found them we hammered them!

Good luck

Posted on: 1/29 13:47:15

LSF Member
From St Francis
I just left there this afternoon.
Travel was pretty tough once you’re off the main roads. Hard crusty snow made it challenging but not impossible to drive around with my 8x16.
Fishing rod as slow...3 guys 36 hours only 8 walleyes. Still fun.
We were out of West Winds in 12 ft of water.
Good luck and hope your trip is fun and successful

Posted on: 1/29 21:30:43

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Was up Friday - Sunday, out of West Winds with my wheel house. We went out about 4 miles, nobody around us about 1/2 mile south of the resort houses. We were in 13FOW, and the fish were there, but they were pretty much neutral most of the time. We managed 5 fish between two of us, plus an quick rash of pike chasing bait fish which was cool, ended up with two of those. We missed 2 of the low light bite windows so we should have actually done better, but it was a good time. We did not have trouble off-roading except for hitting a windrow from the plows, but there were some pretty good drifts and there was a bit of snowfall throughout Saturday, not much accumulation probably other than leading to larger drifts as the wind blew. I did not need an extension on my auger, but there's enough ice for as much weight as you want to put on it. At least 2ft, probably 30" more likely. I usually read Cookie's reports for the most honest and entertaining coverage of fishing action.

Posted on: 1/30 12:29:45

We were just there Saturday-Tuesday, 3 miles out from West Wind. Our 2nd trip to Upper Red. 25" under our shack. Found 29" of ice about 6 miles out. Snow has the ice insulated.
3 guys totaled 12 walleye. Caught 4 on rattle wheels the first night, then just 1 each of the next 2 nights. Don't know what changed. Evenings from 6:00-7:30 were pretty hot. Lots moving through but few would bite. Caught a couple on jigs when venturing out one afternoon. Never got our limits but had plenty to eat. Most fish were 15-16" but did get one 19.5" and a 18.5". Had lots of fun! Made a day trip to Lake Of The Woods and caught a few sauger. 48-51" of ice there because ice was mostly clear of snow.

Posted on: 1/31 20:47:42

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page