Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Something attacked vexilar ducer
We were staying at Upper Red this weekend. Made a day trip to LOW. Brought my 1 month old vexilar. Had the ducer hanging maybe 4 inches below the ice. Was fishing a couple hours and something jerked the cable and pulled the foam float under and even pulled the vexilar a couple inches toward the hole. Was jerking the float up and down. I grabbed the cable and pulled up and felt resistance for a sec. Then the beast let go. I pulled up the ducer and the cable is nicked 2" above the ducer. I can see the wires inside. It still works but I need to water proof it before another trip.
I'm thinking it was a Northern or muskie. Has anyone heard of this or experienced this before? The whole episode lasted 5-6 seconds. My buddy witnessed so I know I wasn't seeing things.

Posted on: 1/31 21:59:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Something attacked vexilar ducer
LSF Member
Always a go to on lake of the woods for big pike is put a flag out with the line set about a foot under the ice. The big pike seem to cruise right under the ice during the day for what ever reason. Maybe looking for dead fish or minnows floating up to the ice. So my guess is definitely a big pike.

Posted on: 1/31 22:32:43

LSF Member
From Wright county
Never saw a fish attack a ducer but I know the northerns swim right under the ice and feed on dead fish pulled up from 30 ft. Your idea is plausible.

Posted on: 1/31 22:34:28

LSF Member
The big pike are cruising for the stunned dinks that get thrown back. I'd keep that ducer up a bit next time. :)

Posted on: 1/31 22:36:07

LSF Member
From Fridley
Happened to me on lake Minnetonka a few years back. I didn't say anything because it was so unbelievable, but the tooth marks on my FL-8 ducer did not lie! Like others have said, I think the big girls roam up near the ice picking off dead fish this time of year.

Posted on: 2/1 0:09:28

LSF Member
From SE Metro
The stunted and dead fish make total sense but I have never thought of that. May have to change tactics a bit here towards the end of the season!

Posted on: 2/1 7:44:51

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
I would recommend liquid electric tape to seal the cord. I used GE silicone on a Humminbird transducer cord and the insulation on the cord softened and bubbled at the repair.

Posted on: 2/1 7:58:06

LSF Member
From Chaska
I pulled a nice northern right into the hole because he wouldn't
let go of my Transducer.
They like to run right under the ice on LOTW!
We've had them chowing on the Transducers more than once up there.

Posted on: 2/1 8:50:46

Ignorance and inconsideration are the two great causes of the ruin of mankind.(unknown)

Staff Team
From Annandale
We fished years back out of Arneson's and on the bombardier ride out to the sleeper house our driver told us to be sure to keep our transducers above the bottom of the ice due to the pike actively feeding just under the ice. We kind of laughed at that idea but decided to humor him. The afternoon of day 2 on the ice, the midday bite was slow so my buddy fishing the corner hole behind me reels up to about 2 feet under the ice with his Swedish pimple tipped with a minnow head and starts to jig super aggressively while joking about what our driver had said the day prior. About 10 seconds into this over exaggerated jigging his spoon gets smoked and all you hear is drag screaming from the back of the house. 10 minutes later, 39.5" pike CPR. I'll never let my transducer go below the ice ever again after that moment. And mind you, this was over 28' of water.

Posted on: 2/1 8:54:11

LSF Member
Was on LOW a few weeks ago and was just sitting there jigging when all of a sudden the float on the Vex starts to go under. It wasn't a quick or violent jerk it just slowly gets pulled under maybe 5-6 inches. It went down the same as our bobbers where when a walleye would hit. My buddy and I were looking at it like what the heck is going on. After being down several seconds it pops back up. I checked the transducer but didn't see any marks. I had heard about pike hitting transducers before and I've seen pike do enough weird stuff over the years to know its possible but the way it went down didn't immediately make me think a pike. Best i can figure is that it was just a lazy pike that nonchalantly grabbed it as it swam by versus striking it like they typically would. Still a bit of a mystery.

Posted on: 2/1 10:05:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page