Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Cousins or Keenum?
Staff Team
From Annandale
Christ I can't imagine the contract Rodgers is about to see. Cousin is getting near $30,000,000 a year fully guaranteed. I suppose GB will have to offer $45,000,000 per season fully guaranteed and put 1/3 of the salary cap towards one player if player skill and market value are a real thing. Unlike Cousins, Rodgers has taken a team with no defense to the playoffs and won a handful of games. I guess we'll see how "team friendly" he and his agent are willing to be in the near future...His next contract will decide whether or not any legitimate shots at another SB victory are realistic. Tough to dip your toes in the FA pool to better your team when you have no cap space available. (in all likelihood he will hit the $30,000,000 per year or just above but I think you're picking up what I'm putting down).

Posted on: 3/13 13:37:30

LSF Member
Rodgers should be the first player to demand a % of the cap $$$'s, not an actual number. That way when the cap goes up every year, his salary will also go up. Or the Packers could let the 2 years at $20M/per year run out, franchise tag him the next 2 years, and then let him skate. Pack would still come out on the better end of that, well unless Rodgers just retires, but I don't see him doing that.

Posted on: 3/13 14:06:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From Annandale
Quote:

F6firecat wrote:
Rodgers should be the first player to demand a % of the cap $$$'s, not an actual number. That way when the cap goes up every year, his salary will also go up. Or the Packers could let the 2 years at $20M/per year run out, franchise tag him the next 2 years, and then let him skate. Pack would still come out on the better end of that, well unless Rodgers just retires, but I don't see him doing that.

That is a brilliant idea F6. Cousins gets the first fully guaranteed contract and right behind it Rodgers gets a % contract. That would be a game changer.

Posted on: 3/13 14:19:19

LSF Member
Reports - Bridgewater to Jets and Bradford to ARZ. So all 3 QB's from the Vikes last year will be starting for other teams. Wow.

Posted on: 3/13 14:20:04

LSF Member
From St.Augusta, Brainerd Lakes Area.
It's actually not a bad contract, look what Bradford is getting for 1 year-20 million with 15 guranteed with a bad knee. Brees got a 2 year 50 million deal with 27 guranteed and he is 39 years old. Highbeeze, rodgers has won games with not much defense, but he always seemed to have some playmakers on offense. I agree Rodgers is good but the dude has won only 1 Superbowl. I'm sure he will get around 30 mill/yr extension. Im not sure how long of an extension he will get since he will be 35 years old this year. Matt Ryan will get a hefty extension also. All this high priced QB stuff started a handful of years ago when the Ravens broke the bank for Joe Flacco... Lol, yes Joe Flacco.

Posted on: 3/13 14:39:53

LSF Member
Quote:

F6firecat wrote:

The only issue with getting a percent of the cap with your salary escalating each year you make it harder and harder for yourself to see the full contract unless they also make it fully guaranteed as well.

As you get older you become a greater risk in terms of injury and diminishing skills, when you combine that with escalating salary you become a pretty big liability. Likely you'll see pressure to restructure or get released.

I think the Packers could be wise to let his deal play out and then franchise him. That takes you up to when he's 38 (he's 34 now). The only thing to watch out for there is if you could sign him to a new 4 year deal that might be more team friendly long term. You'll probably pay him more the next 2 years but the final 2 years of paying the franchise tag for a QB given the rapidly escalating salaries might be a bit much for a 37 and 38 year old QB. Hard to know for sure since you can only speculate on what a franchise tag might cost a few years from now.

Posted on: 3/13 15:18:00

Staff Team
From Annandale
I know, Vikings thread but Jimmy Graham to Green Bay and Jordy on his way out the door. Those are a couple shocking moves. You might as well slap a Patriots jersey on Nelson on his way out the door now that they lost Amendola to Miami. That is unless they can get him to accept a pay cut and get him to return. Interesting things going on at a rapid pace. It's going to be an interesting upcoming season with a lot of new faces and new looks from new coaches

Posted on: 3/13 16:04:38

LSF Member
From andover
I'm just a Viking fan and have been since the team's first season. You guy's know more what's going on than I do. So I heard talk previous to Cousins being signed that it will be harder to sign some of our young defensive stars next season. Will it or not? good luck.

Posted on: 3/13 16:12:54

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Actually as far as cap hit per year, the vikings are going to be in pretty good shape to resign players on defense. Barr and Danielle Hunter are the two big ones I can think of. Offensively, depending on how the season goes our biggest hit could potentially be Diggs. He might be spendy. The only year it would b worth tagging Rodgers is the first year since it's the straight average of the top 5 players at the position. It might still be feasible in year two, but now you're talking 120% of the top 5. And the third year, you might have well just signed him before the first year because that's 144% of the top 5 average. So. If GB wants a short term deal, maybe. But let's remember this isn't the same situation they had with Favre. Rodgers sat under Favre for years so they were ready to move. They have nobody under Rodgers, except Hundley. So. Nobody. They'll have to do something to keep him happy.

Posted on: 3/13 17:06:34

LSF Member
I am ALL IN ON KIRK COUSINS. The guy is fiery and can flat out sling it. Worth every penny IMO.

On another, sadder note. What are the Packers doing? They cut Jordy Nelson and haven't made any improvements. And now they will have to back up the Brinks truck to Rodgers' house after seeing the Cousins contract.

It's looking like another NFC North championship at a minimum for the Vikings.

Posted on: 3/13 17:25:59

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page