Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Canada Fishing
LSF Member
I am going to take my going to take my son (he is 14 now) fishing in Canada in a little over a year and am starting to look for suggestions. Here is what I am looking for:
- A place where I can get meals included in the package
- A place where I can hire a guide to take us out a few of the days
- Would prefer a drive in location but open to a fly in as well
- Looking to mainly catch walleye, pike and some crappies

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on: 2/8 22:25:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Canada Fishing
LSF Member
From Minnesota
I'll toss you my nickles worth. I would consider a fly-in. At 14 years old he is entering the phase of life where fishing trips with dad aren't going to be a high priority. He will be chasing girls, cars, college, career. This trip might be the last big trip you two take together until his life is altogether.

Any lodge that provides meals will have access to a guide for you. There are a ton of price options also. I don't know where you are from but google All Canada Shows and see if they are coming to Minnesota. That will be a good source for you.

Posted on: 2/9 7:46:11

LSF Member
+1 with Brian!!

The shows like the Northwest Sports Show can give you loads of opportunity for information.

Take the Son along and get him engaged on planning the trip!

http://www.northwestsportshow.com/

Posted on: 2/9 10:17:54

LSF Member
Thanks for the input. I have done some searching online and will try to get to one of those shows.

I guess I'm more wondering if anyone has any specific places they've stayed that they would recommend. There are tons of choices I know so wanting to make sure I pick a great place.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2/9 17:00:54

LSF Member
From Minnesota
My last Canadian trip was to Tomahawk Resort on Whitefish Bay LOTW. I would highly recommend them except you need to cook your own meals. If you are OK with that then check them out. They have very nice cabins, great docks if you bring your own boat. I think their rental boats are 18' Lunds but I could be wrong on that.

Posted on: 2/9 18:48:45

LSF Member
Lake of the woods offers good crappie fishing in the winter (might be whitefish bay?). Other than that, you donít hear any Canadian resorts clamoring about great crappie action.

My brother went to Lac Suel a couple times, and loved it! I donít know which resort he went out of, but there are several to choose from.

I would recommend Lake Nipigon. I havenít been there, but itís on my list. Trophy lake trout, brook trout, and pike.

Posted on: 2/10 4:55:49

LSF Member
Quote:

pwally wrote:
I am going to take my going to take my son (he is 14 now) fishing in Canada in a little over a year and am starting to look for suggestions. Here is what I am looking for:
- A place where I can get meals included in the package
- A place where I can hire a guide to take us out a few of the days
- Would prefer a drive in location but open to a fly in as well
- Looking to mainly catch walleye, pike and some crappies

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thought I would chime in on this one alittle . Great that you want to take your son on a Canadian fishing trip , as there are some awesome opportunities up there that should be able to accommodate you two . You stated that you would like meals included in the package . With that being said , drive to destinations may be your best bet , especially if you would like to hire a guide for a couple days. Many different operations going on up there offering these options . As for the fish it's mainly going to be walleye and northern , or maybe some lake trout , crappies possibly .. As for fly in trips there are numerous trips and outfitters available with food packages included , although you may have to cook ,but on these more remote lakes the hiring of a guide may not be as much of a option , but they always do there best to give you detailed maps that are marked with tried and true hotspots , the types of lures that are working best at that time of the summer , and different bait options that are also working best while you would be there . These destinations tend to be on smaller , island packed lakes , were wind won't be as much of a issue whatsoever. The past suggestions can be good destinations , but most of them have been on large bodies of water , and with that , wind can definitely become a negative factor for your stay , as strong winds can make your trip somewhat miserable or even unsafe.... Rusty Myers in International Falls would be a fly in outfitter as a good place to talk to about these types of trips . Lac Suel is a bigger lake , but does have some wind sheltered areas. Drive to.

Posted on: 2/10 10:49:03

LSF Member
From Manitowoc county
Stork lake, was there as a kid and it was great. All species of fish and good food.

http://storklakelodge.net/

Posted on: 2/11 8:24:01

LSF Member
From On the fish!
I was looking at the stork lake website and looks like they only allow two ppl per boat what if your a family of four? Gotta take turns? Can I bring my own boat? Would like to do a drive up trip also

Posted on: 2/11 17:23:19

LSF Member
Thank for the input from those that have commented.

Posted on: 2/12 7:37:55

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page