Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Weekend Report
Staff Team
From Annandale
It's been a grind this ice season with a lot of time on the ice with little to show for it. I've had some inconsistent action here and there but couldn't seem to get the pieces of the puzzle to fit together until this weekend. I headed out to a smaller lake in the area and fished 21 FOW in the basin. I refuse to fish during mid morning to mid afternoon on Wright county waters in the winter as it seems 90+ percent of the lakes have no day bite to be heard of unless you happen to be chasing bluegill or are a fan those pesky walleye food that love to chase around anything you throw at them.

I had a friend who headed out early and was set up by 1:00 and I arrived at 4:00. At this point he had marked a single fish. Within 15 minutes of setting up a nice school came through suspended anywhere from 2 to 6 feet off of the bottom. I was fishing a 1/16 ounce chartreuse frostee spoon and while the sun was up they were pounding that tipped with euro larvae. As soon as the sun hit the tree line the dead stick started to bend and the bite switched to minnows and I started tipping the spoon with a minnow head. The bite slowed around 7:00 but I stuck it out until 9:00 to see if things would turn back on. I ended up catching around 30 and bringing 9 home for table fare.

I had another friend head out at 9:00 yesterday morning and he was off the lake by 11:00 with no fish to show for his efforts. I headed out and arrived just before 4:00 and was off the ice by 5:45 with ten for tonight's supper and around 25 total fish. They would roam the basin and there would be 15 to 20 minute windows waiting for the school to come back around but when they did they were hot. All but 2 fish came on the frostee spoon with euro larvae again but the last fish was on the dead stick with a minnow so they were about to go back to minnow mode as the sun was almost set. All fish brought home were in the 9.5"-10.5" range. It was a great way to rally a bit to save the season with some good eats to go with it. I've got broiled crappie and tators on my mind!

Attach file:

png  MIC2.png (1,378.72 KB)
15237_5a81a464eca23.png 1280X720 px

png  MIC.png (1,002.73 KB)
15237_5a81a50eab297.png 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2/12 9:30:38

Re: Weekend Report
LSF Member
From Fargo
Nice work! Thanks for the tips

Posted on: 2/12 9:43:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Good job! I'm with you mid day is rarely any good around here.

Posted on: 2/12 9:47:24

LSF Member
From St Michael
My last couple of trips out have been very different from just a few days/weeks ago. I also stick to dark for crappies. I have been marking just like usual, but the bites have been nearly non-existent. I guess they have seen nearly all the presentations already. I need to figure out a change quick.

Posted on: 2/12 10:19:17

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Great reports highbreeze and awesome job on those crappies.

I too try to only fish the "prime time " bites. Unfortunately this year most of the time I've had have been mid day time slots and I haven't even gone. I have managed a couple early morning trips but those are hard because you have to get there so early to move around a little before setting up. i prefer the sunset bite but just haven't had time to hit one yet. I think maybe (..maybe...) I might be able to Friday. Will let you know how it goes!

Posted on: 2/12 12:24:27

LSF Member
From Monticello
Thanks for the report! I will say I have had the best luck in the evening. Unfortunately I can only fish when I can fish.

I feel like I have done a good job setting up on fish this winter but getting them to strike has proved a little more difficult.

Posted on: 2/12 12:52:40

Staff Team
From Annandale
Quote:

scrambled wrote:
Thanks for the report! I will say I have had the best luck in the evening. Unfortunately I can only fish when I can fish.

I feel like I have done a good job setting up on fish this winter but getting them to strike has proved a little more difficult.

I know what you're saying scrambled. Being on fish hasn't been an issue. Being on active fish has been a huge struggle. One good thing that comes from a slow season is when you do find that bite you've been searching for you turn back into a little kid you get so dang excited! I can't wait for Wednesday to come to get another crack at em after work. Looking at the forecast I'll need to bring flip flops and Bermuda shorts.

Posted on: 2/12 19:28:23

Staff Team
From Annandale
I made it back out last evening and the bite was not what it had been over the weekend. I didn't see fish until after 5:15 this time around which was an hour later than Sunday. The fish were a real mix of aggressive and neutral. I caught 10 with 4 being worthy of the bucket but lost one of those at the hole wrapped up in the transducer. They were in and out inside of 30 minutes and I stuck it out until 6:15 and decided to head out. The nice thing was that the fish were very spunky still so I tossed the 3 back to be caught another day. I'll give it another go this weekend and if the bite has gone south it's time to start venturing to a new location.

Attach file:

png  MIC3.png (1,127.76 KB)
15237_5a85e3a60b61e.png 720X1280 px

Posted on: 2/15 14:46:16

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Still caught fish, nice job! I think I got the all clear from the wife to give it a go tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'll report back how it goes

Posted on: 2/15 22:05:28

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page