Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Ion Or Strikemaster electric auger
LSF Member
From Champlin/Mahtowa mn
Just wondering what you guys have heard or used out of these two augers. Getting one or the other.
Let me know thanks.
I know ions are good from what I've heard but the strikemaster comes with an extra battery.

Posted on: 2/20 18:55:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ion Or Strikemaster electric auger
LSF Member
From Elk River / Garrison
Ive been contemplating this all season....this winter ive been in some bait shops and ive seen people dropping another 150.00 for a new battery for their ion that is only 2 years old..
I like the strikemaster 40v but is this going to happen to this unit in a few year...
I desided on the strikemaster honda unit....i have straight gas for my generator, lawnmower, snowblower.
My dads gas auger has been running for 20+ years

Posted on: 2/20 23:18:21

LSF Member
Quote:

LoganFish wrote:
Just wondering what you guys have heard or used out of these two augers. Getting one or the other.
Let me know thanks.
I know ions are good from what I've heard but the strikemaster comes with an extra battery.

Between the two i would go with the ion. SM seems to lack in the electric auger niche especially when it comes to longevity of an item...both the big volt and 50v vanished in a year or two...so Id be worried they may part with this in a few years leaving u out of luck should you need maintenance.

If it wasnt between just those two, I get the kdrill hands down over them both. You will grin from ear to ear once you lift the thing then be in awe once you see it Drill a hole.

Posted on: 2/21 9:16:30

LSF Member
From Princeton MN
This is a great question and I hope to see many responses.

I have an 8" ION and the battery is going (2 years old). I can only drill about 25 holes in two feet of ice. Trying to decide if I should invest any more money in the ION (new battery) or dump it and go to the Strikemaster.

ION is having a blade breaking issue (last 2 years) and they told me they are done supplying them this season.

Strikemaster - I heard is having a battery issue (leaking battery)? Only heard of a couple of people saying this.

If you broke your ION blades please chime in.

Posted on: 2/21 9:20:28

Hundreds of holes over the past several seasons...no issues with my 8" ION...I did hear something else about the SM plastic "on" trigger" being an issue.

Been using the extension that comes with the ION the past week or so with ice being thick and no problems there either. I believe SM has the Reverse feature like the ION and that has been great for me being a run n gun crappie guy....just hold the reverse and flush shavings back down the hole and can drop jig and fish wo having to take time to clear out the hole.

Posted on: 2/21 13:46:30

LSF Member
From Elk River / Garrison
Idk if these people left their battery in constant cold weather or left it on the charger for extended periods of time , but if there are like my drill batteries I won't want to fork out 150.00 every 2-4 years on something that already cost 600.00-650.00. A lot of people went to these because of fumes in the perm/wheelhouse and the pain to mix. I already bring straight gas for my generator, that's why I went with the strikemaster honda....I fill them both up the day before so I don't get have fresh gas on my hands.
I've used both plus k-drill...they all worked great and got the job done.

Posted on: 2/21 15:28:15

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
If my gas one ever dies I'll be very interested in this thread. It's 30 years old (hand me down from my dad) now and chips away like it's only 20! My wife has already said I can buy a new one but I've been waiting years for my current one to stop working and it just keeps chugging along. I wish they made quality ones like they use to. I know when I finally do buy a new one I'll have an issue with it in a few years..

Posted on: 2/21 16:15:06

LSF Member
I have broken two blades on my ion over last two years. Now this set has not given me any issues after over 150 holes and only one touch up on the sharpening too. Also no other issues until last week when reverse quite working, talk to company, sent her back to repair and they are replacing the entire head...wow that is customer service!
Thor

Posted on: 2/21 16:19:23

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
That's 3 issues in 2 years though. How can you rely on that thing for big trips? Do you just carry a backup?

Posted on: 2/21 16:20:56

LSF Member
From glencoe
always need a backup with the gas auger. pia!

Posted on: 2/21 18:36:52

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page