Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Hows the ice holding up in southern MN?
LSF Member
Just wondering with the warmer temps and snow down there how the ice is doing?

Posted on: 2/20 21:31:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Hows the ice holding up in southern MN?
LSF Member
How far south are you talking about?

I can't imagine the ice anywhere in the state has taken too big of a hit I haven't been out in a few weeks since I've been out of town but last time I was out the ice was over 2 feet thick in the southern 1/3 of the state. Sure it got a little warmer for a bit but all that should have done is melt some snow to make travel easier. This morning it was 3 degrees in the metro so anything that has melted has been well refrozen by now.

You've probably got a month before we start seeing the ice going the other direction.

Posted on: 2/21 9:53:18

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Did you mean to post this on an Iowa forum or something?

We haven't really had any extended warmer temps. One day here and there in the 40s won't do anything to the ice but melt some of the drifts. I'm more worried about needing an extension around the cities before it warms up than the ice not holding up.

Posted on: 2/21 12:41:58

LSF Member
Just in general southern MN thanks for the replies. I heard that the MN river was open some but I'm sure it is open in places all the time.

Posted on: 2/21 20:32:12

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Rivers and current are a different beast. I live right next to the mississippi and even the high current areas below the damn freeze during the extreme cold stretches but they can open back up just when it gets back above zero.

To answer your question (at least in the metro area, west metro, and south west metro) the ice is doing great. Best ice we have had in a couple years. Get out there and enjoy it! Should be able to get a few days in wearing a tshirt chasing pan fish this year too!

Posted on: 2/21 20:41:02

LSF Member
The ice conditions on the river don't reflect whats happening on the lakes. The bulk of the major rivers only freeze up in the most brutal cold but rarely stay frozen for long. The vast majority of lakes on the other hand have at least 2 feet of ice right now and are about as safe as they are ever going to get. The biggest concern right now is if your auger will be able to make it through the ice without an extension. We've got a lot of fishing left to do this season.

Posted on: 2/22 10:00:09

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page