Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

slip bobber rod for walleyes
LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Looking for recommendations for a slip bobber rod to target walleyes. I've done this in the past and had good success with using just whatever rod i had in the boat. Looking to add to my arsenal and have rods pre-rigged for different occasions.

what should i be looking for in a slip bobber rod? i keep hearing 7-8' to help with casting. Any recommendations on a brand or model?

Posted on: 2/27 20:07:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: slip bobber rod for walleyes
LSF Member
From Secret X
I don't think it matters at all. with a thill night bright and a egg weight I can cast a bobber rig as far as I want with a snoopy pole. Love watching my nephew and niece reel in eyes on there 3ft disney rods!

Posted on: 2/27 20:14:25

LSF Member
From Maple grove
The longer the rod the more line you can move when mono stretches while fishing in 30 feet of water out on a big lake! Better hook up percentages.

Posted on: 2/27 21:39:14

LSF Member
From Spicer Area
Check out limit Creek, Iíve had a rod from them with a slip bobber set up on it rigged up for years. Love it.

Posted on: 2/27 22:17:31

LSF Member
I am a G-Loomis guy, but if you are looking for something more reasonable, I was given a couple of Jason Mitchell Pro Series Walleye rods for a gift last year, 7'2" IM8 medium with fast tip. I used these rods a lot last year, in all kinds of fishing techniques. And I have to say, they are very impressive for the cost, and they come with a lifetime warranty. They are marketed by Clam. Not sure you could get a new rod, for the price, that is any better than these. I am not affiliated in any way, just giving a personal review.

Posted on: 2/28 7:55:37

LSF Member
From Duluth/Waskish
I've been using long rods for steelhead/Northshore fishing forever, so those become my slipbobber rods come summer.
Any rod will work, but Gunder2 hit the nail on the head...a long rod lets you pick up the slack and get much better hooksets on deep sets, no question. I have several 9 - 10 ft rods in M/L and medium that work great.

Posted on: 2/28 8:12:26

LSF Member
From Eagan,Mn
X2 for Limit Creek, I have 3 8'3" telescoping rods dedicated to slip bobbers. Love them.

Posted on: 2/28 10:11:27

LSF Member
Rod, whatever is in the Bargain Barrel

Line, Spiderwire Invisi-braid 8 lb FG Knot to mono leader of choice.

JMO

Posted on: 2/28 13:20:16

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Ever since i was a kid I have used an Ugly Stick. I like the sensitive and lighter action for when i reel up slack to gain tension before setting the hook i can see that tip nod a little better than i can see the line in the dark, and the fish don't feel it yet. It also has a nice solid backbone. They aren't great for long casts as they're a little whippy, but you don't typically need that bobber fishing anyway. They're like 50-60 bucks and I swear by them. Since bobber fishing is not really feel fishing these are perfect in my opinion. I do use nicer more expensive rods and reels or trolling and jigging, but that ugly stick sits with a slip bobber on it 24/7 in my boat and it ain't fancy, but sure gets the job done.

Posted on: 3/2 9:11:09

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Quote:

Bandersnatch wrote:
Rod, whatever is in the Bargain Barrel

Line, Spiderwire Invisi-braid 8 lb FG Knot to mono leader of choice.

JMO

Ive always thought the castability of superwire and braid to be mediocre at best, does this stuff actually cast well? I run power pro slick on my jig and troll rods with fluoro leaders and it's the best casting/freespooling braid I've used, but I still use mono with fluoro leader on my bobber rig because it freespools better and casts waaay better. I just dislike the memory of mono and am not too keen on the stretch but on a bobber rod it's not as big of a deal.

Posted on: 3/2 9:17:53

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page