Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Crestliner Trim Problem
LSF Member
From Mtka, Winnie
Figured I'd check in with some of the mechanical folks with an issue with my 2001 Crestliner Sport/Fish with Merc 125. It's a wheel steer with side throttle. The trim now only works from the throttle switch in forward gear....won't work in neutral or reverse. Thinking it might be an adjustment as the switch works in gear. Any thoughts on the fix?? Thanks!

Posted on: 2/28 9:51:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Crestliner Trim Problem
LSF Member
From Hiding from the Wife!
Do you have the bow trim switch on that model as well? The throttle switch has nothing to do with it being a crestliner as the controls are made by merc. I'm thinking you have a wiring issue inside the control box but you will have to check for power at the trim leads when not in gear as well. Its going to take some trouble shooting for sure!

Posted on: 2/28 15:24:07

LSF Member
From Mtka, Winnie
Thanks, Crestliner8--I do have a bow switch and that's unaffected...just on the throttle. I thought it was curious that it works in forward but not neutral or reverse. Figured it might not be making contact in those positions. I don't know how it's set up inside the throttle assembly, though.

Posted on: 2/28 16:00:01

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
I would agree that your explanation sounds more like a wire issue in your throttle/gear box. look for a loose connector or a wire with an internal break near the pivot point of the gear/throttle box.

Posted on: 2/28 16:39:28

LSF Member
From st cloud
Check the inside panel on the side behind the control box there will be 3 wire's red power blue sky for up and the green down for grass. That's just how I remember them. Usually stuff gets jammed on the side and will pull them connections apart. Check that first pretty easy

Posted on: 2/28 22:11:20

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Yup. Havinfun is on it. Happened to my dad's old merc last year, it would go down, not up and ended up being a bad switch. You can pull that throttle assembly apart, the 3 wires om the switch are the controls. To test the switch itself, I stripped a little jacketing off each without cutting them. Then put it in or out of gear (whichever you're testing) and then you can take another piece of wire and short it from one wire to another (only touching two wires at a time) One combo will send it down, the other up. If both work something is probably pinched in your harness or something when the assembly is closed. I suppose it could be the switch itself but it didn't sound like it. If not I'd be tracing the wire harness to the engine compartment next where the trim solenoid is. It definitely isn't the solenoid itself that's bad, however. If it works in any fashion, in gear or not, the solenoid is fine.

Posted on: 3/2 8:56:27

LSF Member
From Mtka, Winnie
Thanks for the tips and ideas. Should be picking up my boat next month and Iíll report what I found. Not looking forward to tearing into it :-/

Posted on: 3/2 22:28:12

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page