Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Vadnis Heights arrests for guns.
Staff Team
From Bloomington
It just seems there is something missing in this story.

http://www.kare11.com/video/entertainment/television/programs/kare-11-sunrise/parents-expected-in-court-after-son-allegedly-made-threats-at-vadnais-heights-school/89-8026677

Questions I have.
What is their definition of Cache of weapons that makes it illegal? The dictionary states a hidden store of guns.
Is it illegal to have thousand of rounds of ammo?
Is it illegal to have an armored vest?
What is the explosive device? Could it be tanerite?

There seems to be more to the story or they are over reacting.

Posted on: 3/5 9:37:34

Re: Vadnis Heights arrests for guns.
LSF Member
From Coon Rapids, MN
Here we go. What's funny these parents don't look like they running a militia out of there home. I guess if you have more than one firearm you are on notice. I have personally felt this is the fist step in controlling the second amendment. If that is the case we need to put our foot down and push back.

just saying

Posted on: 3/5 10:48:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Yea y'all right. Gun rights trumps all others including the lives of innocent kids.

Posted on: 3/5 10:51:04

Staff Team
From Annandale
The boy is autistic which leads one to believe that this was a bit of an overreaction by the sheriffs department, however, as someone who works in the public school sectors, there is no such thing as an overreaction to a threat on a school building or those inside.

If the sheriffs findings are true, shame on the parents and they deserve to be in county waiting to be seen by an appointed judge. Would anyone feel comfortable having their 13 year old child visit this child's home with unsecured firearms present? We've seen this story before and it never ends well. Kids having fun, picks up gun, pretends to shoot friend, didn't realize gun was loaded, etc, etc, etc...a child loses there life.

Now the family has intentions on suing the county for damages as they claim it is a 4 generation collection and all firearms are stored properly. So with all such things it will be heard by a judge, perhaps move to a jury trial if necessary and the truth will be exposed one way or the other. For now, I have to believe what the Sheriffs findings were until proven otherwise.

The lack of communication of the 3 parties involved (sheriffs office, school officials, parent who called in the actual threat) seems very suspicious as training for these types of threats are done throughout the year so the proper officials are notified immediately at the time of such an event.

As the parents have no prior offenses I find it hard to believe they will face the full gross misdemeanor charge. It will most likely be either reduced, or, they will be forced to attend gun safety training classes or a similar type of instructive course. A lot of he said, she said on this one. I think pitchfork nation needs to take a breath and let this one unfold as the facts will be revealed in due time. If the parents are found to be innocent and charges are dropped, the impending lawsuit against the county will be the real story here.

Posted on: 3/5 11:21:31

Staff Team
From Bloomington
It is interesting as more info comes out. Not facts but I heard on the radio that the 13 year was drawn into the conversation by another student. The other student asked the 13 yr old if he would bring a gun to school. The 13 yr old replied no I would just shoot up the school. That student then texted his mom to report what the student said. Mom called the school.

The school investigated then applied a 2 day suspension to go along with spring break. The school felt there was no real threat. The mom of the investigating child then apparently was not satisfied with that and called the police. The police got a search warrant.

This seems like a setup to me. Or there are far more historical info not being released.

Posted on: 3/5 14:50:00

LSF Member
I think things probably started off with a bad joke. With a kid that age a bad joke or something that might be perceived as a threat when it was really intended as a joke seems fairly believable.

What will be interesting is what led to the search warrant. The article I saw in the Pioneer Press said a Deputy came to the house to talk to the boy the day before the warrant was executed so perhaps the Deputy saw enough while in the home to seek the warrant. Either way law enforcement and a judge must have felt there was enough cause to seek one and then issue one. The failures of law enforcement in Florida may have also prompted them to maybe be a bit over cautious when investigating the threat but who knows.

Despite the saga starting with something that appears to be a bad joke it doesn't diminish the potential crimes that were uncovered by law enforcement, as long as the warrant was legal and the legal process was followed.

I have a hard time believing the sheriffs office didn't document their findings with photographs and detailed descriptions so it should be hard to refute their findings. According to the Pioneer Press article they found several loaded unsecured firearms and several illegal weapons (short barreled shot guns, a weapon that meets the definition of a "machine gun"), along with the parts and info needed to convert several semi-autos to full autos. The parts were hidden in a ceiling which seems to indicate the family probably knew they were illegal and were trying to hide them.

At this point it probably doesn't really matter what started the whole thing, they were caught either way.

Posted on: 3/5 16:57:33

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I didn't look at the above link, but I read a story also on Kare11 that said many of the guns in the home during the warrant search were loaded and accessible to the child. They also found what "appeared to be" conversion kits intended to make semi-auto firearms fully automatic, the ATF also identified one weapon that met the legal definition of "machine gun" and another shotgun with a barrel less than the legal length. The kids mom told authorities at their first visit there were no firearms in the home.

Oops looks like nofishfisherman had many of the same details. Sorry.

Posted on: 3/5 17:46:24

LSF Member
I am about as pro 2nd amendment as you can get. But the 2nd amendment doesn't give you a license to be irresponsible with firearms. It sounds like there were MANY firearms that were loaded and not in a safe.. really, with a 13 year old child in the house?

I do agree that the sheriff was really vague in his statements using words like "cache" but never saying in the firearms are legal or not (which makes a huge difference).

Posted on: 3/6 8:04:30

LSF Member
Heard some more details on the news last night. Sounds like the kid may have done a little more than joke around. He claimed he was going to kill someone and apparently had a list of other people he intended to kill. That seems like a little more than a bad joke so makes complete sense that it would be fully investigated especially given recent events in FL.

I'm unsure if the kid is actually facing charges but I thought he might be based on what I heard on the news last night. If there was in fact a list of people he wanted to kill that might have been what law enforcement was initially after when executing the search warrant and then stumbled into all of the guns. Initially the mother did say there were no guns in the house when talking to law enforcement so for some reason she felt the need to lie, likely because she knew some of the firearms were illegal.

From what I've read and heard on the news the number of guns has never really been the issue or even talked about in great detail, its the fact that they had more that one illegal gun and also several kits hidden in the ceiling that are used to convert semi-auto firearms to full auto.

Posted on: 3/6 10:21:54

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

nofishfisherman wrote:
Heard some more details on the news last night. Sounds like the kid may have done a little more than joke around. He claimed he was going to kill someone and apparently had a list of other people he intended to kill. That seems like a little more than a bad joke so makes complete sense that it would be fully investigated especially given recent events in FL.

I'm unsure if the kid is actually facing charges but I thought he might be based on what I heard on the news last night. If there was in fact a list of people he wanted to kill that might have been what law enforcement was initially after when executing the search warrant and then stumbled into all of the guns. Initially the mother did say there were no guns in the house when talking to law enforcement so for some reason she felt the need to lie, likely because she knew some of the firearms were illegal.

From what I've read and heard on the news the number of guns has never really been the issue or even talked about in great detail, its the fact that they had more that one illegal gun and also several kits hidden in the ceiling that are used to convert semi-auto firearms to full auto.

I think we saw the same story. Funny how facts can change a story.

I heard a recording of the kids g'pa getting all pissed off on how it was handled. I wonder if he will change his tune knowing what his son was doing and what he had in the house.

Posted on: 3/6 10:37:16

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page