Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

1st trip for the boys 3/16/18
LSF Member
Well the wife and I sold our old 6-1/2 x 12' ice house and upgraded to a new 8x17' ice castle gull lake edition. I was supposed to have taken delivery two weeks ago but that's another post for another day. Assuming I get to take delivery Wednesday as promised we will be taking our 3-1/2 and 8 month old boys up fishing for the weekend. I know lots of TV and movies will be watched as well as some playing in the snow but my older boy really does love to "fish" meaning he will jig for about 2 minutes then find something else to do until I hook a fish for him to reel in! We will be taking Adrian's road out assuming it's still in good shape come Friday. Any input as to what depth I should look at setting up to bring some fish topside would be greatly appreciated! Any other tips or advice to help make this a successful trip would be warmly welcome! I will certainly post reports and pictures when I get home on Monday. I'm hoping this works out well and leads to more fishing trips in the future, it would be nice to not have to wait for my boys to be grown in order to bring them out with me.

Semper Fi
Tight Lines!

Jeff-

Posted on: 3/13 13:23:45

Jeff Rieder
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1st trip for the boys 3/16/18
Staff Team
Congratulations on the new icehouse and I am sure you can't wait to use it. I hope our members will provide some good information on how the bite is up there. Thanks for letting us know how your trip goes, live updates are awesome also........Kirk

Posted on: 3/13 14:53:33

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
We weren't out of adrians road but not too far away last week. During prime time jigging something like a red rattlin flyer worked best for us. The set lines using a clear glass jig eye thing (sorry i didn't buy them and had to switch to one of my buddies because they were outfishing everything on the set lines) worked the best during the day. I had better luck with a glow gemineye style jig during prime time on the set lines. Didn't catch a lot jigging during the day, usually the glow jig would call them in and they would hit the set line.

Hope you get your kiddos on some good fish! I have a 10 month old now and am already planning out annual trips to take with him!

Posted on: 3/13 15:25:12

LSF Member
Was just fishing out of Adrian's last weekend. Their road is starting to get rough with the thawing and refreezing taking place, and there is water on the road in some spots from melting during daytime hours, however as of last weekend it was still easily passable. Fishing was mediocre at best where we were in about 26' of water below the 40" + ice. As usual the bite was prime time during daytime hours, although we did pull 1 nice sauger on a rattle reel at about 11pm. Dead sticks were just that...dead. They were interested in jigging only and not very aggressive as we had to work them to get them to bite. If I were going back this weekend I would try shallower...maybe around 20' of water (below the ice). Good luck to you and I would suggest calling Adrian's to check on their road conditions before heading up due to the warmer weather this week.

Posted on: 3/14 4:15:03

LSF Member
Thanks Bottlebass and Fboman! I will definitely call Adrians to see what the current conditions are and honestly think about setting up a bit shallower. If the road really is getting beat up from the freezing/thawing I won't want to venture out too far since the ice house is brand new and my beautiful Venezuelan wife loves to nag me about my driving... Especially with the kids in the truck. I'll also make sure to buy some of the glass jig heads for the set lines on my way up or at the bait shop by wheeler's point.

Posted on: 3/14 9:03:41

Jeff Rieder

LSF Member
Looks like I should be good to go for the trip, I was able to pick my new house up yesterday and other than it showing up the wrong color everything is looking good. Adrian's says the road is in good shape just a tad bit rougher from the melt/freeze/melt/freeze typical of this time of year but the wife and kids are excited so I am too! Wish me luck, i'll try to post while I'm up there. I'll also check back to see if anyone is up there now or has been up in the last few days and wants to share some tips or depth of action.

Semper Fi
Tight Lines!

Jeff-

Posted on: 3/15 12:12:26

Jeff Rieder

LSF Member
From champlin /remer
just left there this morning was out 24 miles and moved in to about 4 miles out got bigger fish out 24 miles and the road was getting mushy in spots with the warm weather and lots of ice .

Posted on: 3/15 18:12:17

LSF Member
Whelp, day 1 and about 15 fish iced. 4 made their way to the bucket...overall enough action in 20' to keep the kids entertained but all dinks. Even the keepers were borderline.

Posted on: 3/16 20:09:55

Jeff Rieder

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Glad you are on some fish at least! Keep the reports coming.. some of us are stuck at work right now and not fishing

Posted on: 3/17 8:15:12

LSF Member
Gold gem-n-eye seems to be the hot lure out fishing plain red and pink hooks as well as glass eye jigs about 5 to 1. My wife is out fishing me on the jig stick 2 to 1 with a white frostee out performing my Red rattlin flyer. 6 small fish in the bucket with about 20+ dinks sent back down the hole. Lots of action but all small. Only the 13" saugers being kept.

Posted on: 3/17 10:44:34

Jeff Rieder

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page