Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Catch-and-release summer walleye season announced for Lake Mille Lacs
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

Reinhard wrote:
I have a friend that has a place on the lake and he has had great fishing the last two years. So what is the problem. Seems like the fish are there. Let people keep two eye's under 17 in. or slot the lake up to 20 in. with two. There is going to be some loss of eye's with this catch and release. good luck.

Why do people have to be able to keep fish to enjoy the good fishing? Close the whole thing down, make every fish catch and release and see what fishing is really suppose to be like in the lake!

Unfortunately that would mean no more netting or "native" quota so it will never happen.

Doesn't mean I can't still go and enjoy the great fishery it is. If I want fish for a meal I'll just go try another lake.

Posted on: 3/20 15:40:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:
Quote:

Reinhard wrote:
I have a friend that has a place on the lake and he has had great fishing the last two years. So what is the problem. Seems like the fish are there. Let people keep two eye's under 17 in. or slot the lake up to 20 in. with two. There is going to be some loss of eye's with this catch and release. good luck.

Why do people have to be able to keep fish to enjoy the good fishing? Close the whole thing down, make every fish catch and release and see what fishing is really suppose to be like in the lake!

Unfortunately that would mean no more netting or "native" quota so it will never happen.

Doesn't mean I can't still go and enjoy the great fishery it is. If I want fish for a meal I'll just go try another lake.

Reinhard you can't set limits or (bottlebass) limit netting or change the quota for the tribes without the blessing of GLIFWC. Anyone who thinks this is a co-management situation hasn't been paying attention. GLIFWC will determine what they will allow and then call the Minnesota DNR and tell them how things will be. At that point it's up to the DNR to spin it anyway they think the public might swallow it.

For those who think some of us are being to hard on the DNR.......they made their own bed by not being transparent and by making backroom deals with GLIFWC. Anything they get, they have coming.

Posted on: 3/20 15:56:50

LSF Member
From andover
Me, just stating my opinion. I used to fish the lake a lot and supported the local buisness's there and the resorts. The whole thing is a mess and caters to the tribes not the taxpayers ok. Unless things change I have plenty of other lakes to fish. good luck.

Posted on: 3/20 16:43:08

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
Here's the election schedule for those (like me) that don't like this crap.
http://www.sos.state.mn.us/election-administration-campaigns/elections-calendar/

Posted on: 3/21 10:22:18

LSF Member
From central mn
Brian,spot on,sums it up pretty good! Of course the trible money to the dem's every year sugar coats it as well.

Posted on: 3/21 12:29:05

LSF Member
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:

Yes, this is true.

So to simplify, I won't try another lake, I'll start at that other lake.

If I want to fish Catch and Release, I'll by a ticket to Alaska and fish King Salmon. I don't eat those fishy buggers anyway.

Posted on: 3/21 13:50:01

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Maybe I'm not normal but my intent isn't to get a meal every time I go fishing. In fact I keep fish about 10% of the time I go fishing (I'll admit sometimes thats because I don't catch any keepers...), sometimes I just want to go catch fish. At least with the lake open to catch and release I can still go enjoy the great fishery it is.

Posted on: 3/21 13:52:22

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I honestly believe most lakes will be catch and release in the future. Not just Walleye but Panfish as well.

Everyone has electronics and there is no way the lakes can handle that kind of pressure year round.

People are hunting fish more and more not simply fishing.

Posted on: 3/21 14:12:37

LSF Member
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:
Maybe I'm not normal but my intent isn't to get a meal every time I go fishing. In fact I keep fish about 10% of the time I go fishing (I'll admit sometimes thats because I don't catch any keepers...), sometimes I just want to go catch fish. At least with the lake open to catch and release I can still go enjoy the great fishery it is.

Oh, I get that.

If I was to live closer, I might.

But if I get the urge to just Fish, I'm not going all the way to Mille lac.
I live a mile from the Mississippi in St Paul. I'll hit the river for C&R fishing and save about a hundred bucks.

Posted on: 3/21 14:13:54

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
I honestly believe most lakes will be catch and release in the future. Not just Walleye but Panfish as well.

Everyone has electronics and there is no way the lakes can handle that kind of pressure year round.

People are hunting fish more and more not simply fishing.

I would be sad if this ended up being the case. Nothing I love more for a meal than fresh caught fish.

I could definitely see stricter regulations and limits enforced though.I can't remember the last time I kept a limit except for on lakes like Upper Red where the limit is low anyway. What do people do with all the fish they keep? I don't think they are as good once you freeze them.

Posted on: 3/21 14:25:59

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page