« 1 2 (3)

Re: Catch-and-release summer walleye season announced for Lake Mille Lacs
Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
I honestly believe most lakes will be catch and release in the future. Not just Walleye but Panfish as well.

Everyone has electronics and there is no way the lakes can handle that kind of pressure year round.

People are hunting fish more and more not simply fishing.

I would be sad if this ended up being the case. Nothing I love more for a meal than fresh caught fish.

I could definitely see stricter regulations and limits enforced though.I can't remember the last time I kept a limit except for on lakes like Upper Red where the limit is low anyway. What do people do with all the fish they keep? I don't think they are as good once you freeze them.

In fishing East Rush this winter I met many people who said they kept limits almost every time they went out. One specifically was out 4 times during the week of Christmas. Very proud he got a limit in 30 min and was off the lake. 40 in one week per person. another kept a limit every weekend. If they needed to they just kept smaller ones.

Funny how both commented on how the fish were not as big as last year and not as many. The pattern was totally different as well that is most likely the big difference in they winter we had.

Posted on: 3/21 15:10:02

LSF Member
From Lent, MN
There are a ton of people that only fish during the winter, and use that as an opportunity to stock the freezer for the entire year. Possession limits mean nothing (see orandausa's post above).
Anyone can fish in the winter, ice is the great equalizer. You don't need a boat, long rods, equipment, etc. Anyone with a $12 dollar rod/reel combo and a means to get to the lake can get a limit in the winter.
The explosion of wheelhouses isn't helping, either. I fish the Chisago area and weekends are a complete zoo in January/February. I'm surprised the fishing has held up as well as it has, but it won't last forever. Fish are getting smaller and more scarce every year. Every lake within an hour of the cities is in danger.
I don't know that lower limits will help, as the people that are hoarding fish are going to continue doing it regardless of the limit. But it might not be a bad place to start. Might actually cut down on the pressure as well.

Posted on: 3/21 15:34:57

LSF Member
From Blaine and Otter Tail County
Yeah - the winter time pressure has exploded.

Posted on: 3/22 15:02:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Rochester/Mille Lacs
I do feel a bit bad for the businesses on the lake. Way to many people measure the success of their trip by how much meat they take home, so that will most definitely hurt their bottom line. However last summer, the resorts we eat at were busy every weekend I was up last year. The launches sure seemed full on the weekends too. Personally I will be happy to keep releasing them beauties if it means the quality of fishing remains like it has been.

Posted on: 3/23 12:30:02

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Mille Lacs will suffer until we are all living under the same sets of laws and regulations or the Indians own all of it. Those who like to fish the lake should get used to the mismanagement of the lake until one or the other happens.

Posted on: 3/24 11:23:59

LSF Member
From andover
While I always follow the regs, I made up my own personal laws regarding limits ect. I only take home what we eat for a meal. This way my freezer is mostly empty as far as fish go. I do keep smaller pike for freezing for pickled pike. I fish for the old saying "just nice to get out". While I do make the effort to catch fish, I really don't care if I come home skunked for the day.

One reason is that I fish mostly up north. Ya it takes more time to get to the lake, but it's worth it. Not a fan of crowds, I like to take in the outdoors and don't like to be distracted by water skiers and all the rest. Not a big fan of big lakes as well unless it has many islands and bays. So my regs are keep what you can eat for a meal and throw the big one's back regardless of species. Pretty simple and works for me. good luck.

Posted on: 3/24 14:26:44

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Are you the guy on this site that stays at Riviera on the Ash River Trail?

Posted on: 3/24 15:22:40

LSF Member
From andover
Yes Brian I am. I usually go in June. Great fishing. Friend of ours own the place. Check out my site below and check in the Where To Go Page. good luck.

Posted on: 3/25 14:45:40

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Maybe i'll run across you. We can have a Burger at Ash-Ka-Nam. I have my camper on the Ash River Trail.

Posted on: 3/25 15:55:29

LSF Member
From andover
That would be great. I always bring up a lot of my homemade sausage up there also to pass around. We have been there for a burger. Love it there. good luck.

Posted on: 3/25 16:03:14

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page