Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Driving on Lakes
LSF Member
Are people still driving on Lakes? Pokegama? Rush? Probably okay for a few days yet!

Posted on: 3/27 13:19:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Driving on Lakes
LSF Member
From andover
I would not drive on any lake right now. The DNR just came out and said that lakes are not safe at this time, especially in southern MN and central MN. My brother said that one problem right now up north is the snow on the lakes and lot of slush. Probably slush on most lakes. good luck.

Posted on: 3/27 13:41:17

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
If you're going through this time of year, it's gong to be right at shore, or any current/spring area. Mid lake ice should be mostly fine, but the shorelines are SKETCHY. Would not recommend driving a truck out. It's basically the opposite this time of year vs. Early ice... shorelines freeze first then mid lake in fall. In spring, shorelines melt first, while mid lake ice hangs around.

Comment before me is right about snow and slush, there's a few inches of water on top of the ice everywhere. Water is very heavy.

I cracked some shoreline ice yesterday with just my wheeler and gear at my access on my lake, no biggy, just cracked at shore and got pushed into bottom, but I am VERY familiar with the ice, lake, and access. If I didn't know what I was working with I wouldn't have taken a vehicle out there. That being said. Still had close to 20" of ice with a lot of slosh on top out on the main lake

Posted on: 3/27 15:57:22

LSF Member
Thanks guys. I know a couple of spots I can walk out so I think I'll play it safe. Was really hoping to get out farther one more time.

Posted on: 3/27 18:31:11

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
Here in Wright County I drove out this past Saturday and Sunday, but that's it for the year. Ice is 25in thick, but getting porous. My buddies Nils cut thru like it was warm butter, even my Jiffy was fast!

Actually seeing water on the ice is a good thing, means the ice is somewhat solid yet. When it is 40 out and you don't see water, then you know it is getting weak as the water is running right into it.

That all being said, should be some good late ice for awhile yet for walking. Takes awhile to melt 2ft of ice when the night temps are still cool and Especially with the cool temps ahead. Though I'm kinds ready for spring.

Posted on: 3/28 8:06:26

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
I was on several lakes Sunday in the Rush area. plenty of Ice and the access were all decent if you have 4x4 there is no reason not to drive still, seen a Geo Metro on Rush. Colder temps this weekend should even help some with slush.

Posted on: 3/28 8:14:57

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I think it depends on how far north you are. The lower half the state you better be very familiar with the lake to take that risk IMO. This cold stretch coming up could help but its after a pretty warm day today. I'm going to be walking out personally but I fish around the cities. If I was an hour north and the access seemed good enough I'd maybe drive.

Every lake is different. And it's important to remember this time of year, no ice is safe ice. There is always a risk.

Posted on: 3/28 8:48:17

LSF Member
From central mn
Another thought for late ice access is we alway access the lake when possible on the east side late ice with wheelers as its outof the extreme sun early in the day and as stated above once on the ice your good except for later when the snow is melted and the water has been sucked down the cracks and the ice is black and your 8" auger is drilling up ice cubes and your 8" auger open's up a 12" hole its time to bag it and get ready for open water.

Posted on: 3/28 10:43:23

LSF Member
Quote:

snow wrote:
Another thought for late ice access is we alway access the lake when possible on the east side late ice with wheelers as its outof the extreme sun early in the day and as stated above once on the ice your good except for later when the snow is melted and the water has been sucked down the cracks and the ice is black and your 8" auger is drilling up ice cubes and your 8" auger open's up a 12" hole its time to bag it and get ready for open water.

Truth!!!

PatricR has an ice report on the East Rush thread from last weekend.

And on a personal note, I decided on the Ford F150.
Picked it up today.
(yes, I'm anal, and it takes me that long! lol)

Posted on: 3/28 13:26:34

LSF Member
From central mn
Oh know bander! f.o.r.d. what happened to the colorado? hope you at least landed on the v-8.

Posted on: 3/28 13:35:20

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page