Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Week after opener BWCA
LSF Member
From Mankato, MN
Supposed to by taking a trip into the BWCA the week following fishing opener. May 17-21st. Is there any chance ice will be off in that region by then? Still nearly a month away so it is hard to tell, mid week looks to warm up quite nice in the area up there. It's BWCA or bust at this point as I have taken 3 personal days to go! Thanks!

Posted on: 4/16 11:33:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Week after opener BWCA
LSF Member
I have the same days off for a trip a little north of Vermillion. Ive all but given up hope. Unless it rains a lot(which it cant its to damn cold) I think we are S O L .

Posted on: 4/16 11:58:00

LSF Member
Put an ice breaker on the front of your canoe!!

I don't think the ice will be off most lakes for opener, North of Brainerd at least.

I see 60's in the long range forecast for the Twin Cities, but not that warm to the North.

I think this is going to be a record setting late ice out year for most lakes, if not all.

Posted on: 4/16 12:20:15

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I mean the weather could change and things could happen but unless something drastic happens (extreme rain or extreme warm stretch or both really) I don't think you have a chance of ice being out yet up there.. Do you have your access permit already? If not aim for rivers...

Posted on: 4/16 12:29:35

LSF Member
What lakes will you be attempting to paddle on? If we get the right weather you may have a chance at paddling some of the smaller lakes but I'm guessing a lot of lakes up there are sitting at 3' of ice covered by about a foot or more of snow so its going to take a big turn around in the weather to melt all of that.

If we do start melting fast enough to open things up around opener I'd be a bit concerned about where all that melted snow is going to go.

Posted on: 4/16 15:35:48

LSF Member

Posted on: 4/17 22:28:24

LSF Member
From Mankato, MN
Our plan was to make Thomas our camp lake and fish there and some surrounding lakes.

Posted on: 4/18 8:17:02

LSF Member
Are you entering at EP 27 (snowbank)?

If I had to guess I'd say official ice out may not have happened by the time you get there but hopefully you'll still be able to navigate the lakes.

The latest ice out in that area over the last 20-30 years has been as late as May 18th and I think we'll be flirting with that this year.

I would have a plan A, B, and C if you start running into ice. You may also want to call some local outfitters in the area starting the week before your trip to get updated conditions. If Snowbank isn't navigable by your entry date you may be able to switch your permit to another EP that has open lakes.

Posted on: 4/18 9:03:54

LSF Member
From Mankato, MN
Okay, sounds good. That was what I was figuring to do. Just thought I'd check here first. Correct, e.p 27.

Posted on: 4/18 9:36:49

LSF Member
From central mn
Years back northeast Mn walleye opener was delayed by two weeks so the fish could spawn late may,has this changed? To lazy to look it up.

Might need to change up your plan,say head up the gunflint trl and fish the seagull river if infact they open the walleye season up that early.

Posted on: 4/18 11:58:35

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page