Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Inverter Generators
LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
going to need to purchase a inverter style generator sometime this summer-late summer for our ice house. I've been doing some research on them, of course *last generations-Japanese made- Honda's and Yamahas get alot of attention, but does a guy really need to spend that much to run lights and a furnace/fan and maybe an occasional TV? Seems like there are quite a few for half the price of a honda with excellent reviews.
I was particularly looking at the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT, just not much for reviews regarding how many hours people have put on them. I was leaning towards a Yamaha since a guy could find one for a couple hundred more, but it turns out they're made in China now too, same goes with the new Honda's now too?

Posted on: 4/17 7:53:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Inverter Generators
LSF Member
From Southern MN.
Do yourself a favor and get a honda EU2000. They are quiet and efficient. For what you are using it for, a tank of fuel will last you 12-13 hrs. And they have just less than a one gallon fuel tank...well worth the extra money. I have had a eu2000 for 10 years,and have never had an issue. Very reliable. I know many people that ice fish with hard shacks. They all have hondas. My cousin bought an off brand generator. He had to fill it every 6 hrs and it was loud. He ended up getting a honda the following year.

Posted on: 4/17 8:10:15

LSF Member
From Cedar/Backus
We own a Champion 3500 watt inverter, the reason we went with the 3500 is for us to be able to use the AC in our travel trailer in the summer. We have ran this non stop for 3 days straight in the cold of winter with zero issues also.
I do not believe that you have to pay the $$ they get for a Honda and or Yamaha to get a good quality piece of equipment, and to be honest with you I see more and more people having troubles with the newer Honda's than any other brand out there.

Posted on: 4/17 8:35:38

Staff Team
From Bloomington
The Westinghouse got a best buy from Consumer reports. I emailed them to ask how many hours they are designed to run. They took 2 months to respond and said they have no such rating.

The Hondas reportedly have a design life of 20k hours.

I did a lot of research via the RV community forms. They range from preppers to full time off grid RV users. One thing they brought up is if or when you need parts and or repair is there a service center near. One example was 0 for Yamaha and 3 for Honda in one town. Most of them use Honda with Yamaha in a far less popular 2nd.

Part of price is piece of mind, convenience as well as cost of ownership.

If it needs repair and you have to ship it away for 3 weeks are you ok with that?

Posted on: 4/17 8:59:04

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
i've seen side by side reviews of the off brands that are just as efficient, quiet, and weight; but as far as service goes, I would be SOL on the westinghouses, closest center is 60 miles away
thanks for tips!

Posted on: 4/17 9:10:53

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
If you look on amazon, some of the inverter generators with different brand names look very similar. There is a homegear brand that looks like a sportsman, that looks like an earthquake etc... I picked up a "homegear" on sale for like $250 bucks (a 1000 watt), that Sams Club was also carrying and had a sale on for about the same price. It ran great, was very quiet, just as quiet by rating as the Honda and ran 8 hours on .6 gallons just running my lights and fans in the fish house. I took it to Red Lake this year, in 20 below cold, fired right up and ran for about 2 hours and then died. I went out to find out what happened because it was full of fuel, and there was oil all over the place. Had battery backup, so no big deal. Took it home, took it apart and discovered the rubber breather tube from the crank case basically exploded. Likely brittle from the cold temps. Called the company I bought it from, it had a one year warranty, I owned it for 13 months. Wouldn't touch it, no parts available for it. Moral of the story, buy something you know has a good warranty, and you can get serviced somewhere. Because otherwise you're just spending money on a timebomb.

Posted on: 4/17 9:50:37

LSF Member
From Zipple Bay & Plymouth
Do yourself a favor and buy a Honda. Then have the "cold weather kit" installed for trouble free operation @ 20 below.

Posted on: 4/17 12:34:10

LSF Member
I have a Powerhorse 2000, quiet, easy on gas. Been satisfied with it.

Posted on: 4/18 5:52:49

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

jwilly wrote:
I have a Powerhorse 2000, quiet, easy on gas. Been satisfied with it.

How many hours do you have on it?

Posted on: 4/18 8:46:18

LSF Member
I think it has about 45 hrs. on it. My friend has had his for 3 yrs. and has about 200 hrs. on it. Neither one of us have any problems with them.

Posted on: 4/18 9:58:44

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page