Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Inverter Generators
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I don't own one but I'll toss in my as I've been interested in buying one and probably will sometime in the near future.

I've seen the cheaper options fail time and time again (3 times now to be exact) on ice fishing trips. Only one that has been reliable every time is the honda EU2000, every time, no matter what, no matter the conditions. That's what I will be buying. It's worth the extra money to me so I don't have to be out in -20 tinkering with a failed one when i could be in a warm shack catching monster eyes.

Posted on: 4/18 10:13:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Princeton
Go to rv.net/forums

go to the tech section and do a generator search.

More and more are starting to buy chinese brands. I had a Honda for six years. They are very nice but did have some issues. we had to replace it at year six due to not being able 0t get power from it. Repair was going to be $600.

Ended up buying another eu2000 because I had a friend who could get me one at cost.
A year later I bought a champion 3000 inverter to run the rv AC.

I had the champion bail me out on red lake in -20 conditions with wind. The Honda quit running and luckily I brought the champion. It ran the rest of the weekend.
I ow use my champion exclusively on Mille Lacs when in my skid house. The extra wattage comes in handy when the pizza cooker is being used along with the satalite tv. When the honda was hooked up, the tv would shut off and we would have to wait for the satalite receiver to reboot.

Noise wise the honda is a bit quieter at idle. However at wide open they are nearly identical.

unless someone would be using it for full time boondock camping, I would go with the champion.

I was also able to get my champion 3000 for $620 at cabelas during a promotion 3 years ago. hard to argue with that price.

if I were buying again I would probably buy from supergen

www.supergenproducts.com

Give Paul a call. He is a wealth of knowledge. He also sells an extended run kit that allows you to use any gas can you have. I believe he may also add an extra year of warranty.

Posted on: 4/20 14:15:55

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
How dare you speak poorly of a Honda! I've been trying to say Honda's aren't all they're cracked up to be for what you pay for them for a couple of years. Are Honda's still good, heck yes but there are others out there that will do the same thing for less money and are just as reliable.
As for parts, you can find parts online for anything. My WEN 3500 is over 10 years old and when I needed a new recoil, I just search for one on eBay. Needed a new oil plug/dip stick because I busted the original one and just searched for the model number on the google machine and boom, got a new one.

Posted on: 4/20 19:44:50

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
FYI i did find a place that is selling the 2,000 watt yamaha for $856; just add to cart, comes with oil, fuel stabilizer, and a 1 year extended warranty https://www.yamahagenerators.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EF2000iSv2

Posted on: 4/26 15:55:58

LSF Member
From Princeton
Quote:

Jmnhunter wrote:
FYI i did find a place that is selling the 2,000 watt yamaha for $856; just add to cart, comes with oil, fuel stabilizer, and a 1 year extended warranty https://www.yamahagenerators.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EF2000iSv2

We used to have yamahas on our fire department trucks to use for portable power and lighting. was always a struggle to keep them running. We no longer buy yamahas. Granted they may have sat for a month or two between uses that required a load to be drawn off them, but they were always started every 30 days and run for a couple minutes.

Also, yamaha does not have a fuel pump so using an extended run tank could be an issue.

Several of the off brand generators that you can get for $500 or less yamaha engines.

Posted on: 4/27 7:18:30

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
hmm, I was really thinking yamaha, so its either a $1000 thailand honda with service centers everywhere or $500 china generator where I would have to drive 60+ miles to have something serviced if need be, let alone hoping that it starts in negative temps

Posted on: 4/27 9:07:27

LSF Member
From Princeton
Quote:

Jmnhunter wrote:
hmm, I was really thinking yamaha, so its either a $1000 thailand honda with service centers everywhere or $500 china generator where I would have to drive 60+ miles to have something serviced if need be, let alone hoping that it starts in negative temps

I believe that I had mentioned in an earlier post that my champion came to the rescue when the honda would run on Red lake in -20 and high winds. The honda would quite after a couple hours and then would not start. The champion ran the rest of the weekend without issue.

I can understand the concern with service, it is valid. However, if read reviews from champion owners, very few are dissatisfied with their purchases.

there are good chinese inverter generators and there are one that are not so good. The Champions have proven over time to be very dependable generators.

Again, not knocking Honda, I just think they are over priced and have not made any significant changes to the eu's in over 15 years. It sounds like the next year eu may be rated at 2200 watts for surge power.

Posted on: 4/27 9:32:58

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
you may be pushing me towards the champion train...

honda's new ones this year are now the 2200 for around the 900-1000 range

Posted on: 4/30 9:54:52

LSF Member
I really like my 3100 Champion, the electric start is just a bonus. For a few bucks a guy can add a fuel pump and have it run off an external tank. And the oil changes are extremely simple - no mess, a drain hose is already attached.

Posted on: 4/30 12:02:34

LSF Member
From Central Iowa
Well I hope I did the right thing. Debated with myself on the Honda EU2000 and went with a Briggs & Stratton P2200. Beings its a Briggs figured I could get repairs at about any lawn mower shop plus the Honda had a running watts of 1600 and 2000 surge and the Briggs 1700 with 2200 surge. Normal price $569 BUT SALE OF $529. We'll see but so far so good. We will have to see how it fares in the cold. According to the reviews its just a few decibles noisier than the Honda.

Posted on: 11/24 21:35:51

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page