Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Water softener questions
LSF Member
From Perham
Anyone out there have heavily iron laden water? I imagine it's pretty darn common among this crowd, so I figured I'd ask you guys. I just set up our water softener at our new house, super iron laden water. I was just wondering what hardness setting you guys run your water softener at to combat the iron. My dad has pretty iron laden water, runs his north star softener at a 40. My brother in law lives in town in Castleton on city water and runs his at 40 as well. I had mine at 40, and am already seeing rust staining on the tub. Moved up to 45 and it was straight salt water after a regen. Maybe my used water softener isn't working right, or maybe I need to just keep tinkering or do a water test. Just figured you guys have gone though this before too.

Thanks!
Scraper

Posted on: 2018/4/21 16:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Water softener questions
LSF Member
From andover
I would use the better "iron out" salt. Regular salt does not work for me. The iron out works great. Don't know the setting. We rent ours from Culligan and they just updated us with a new one. Renting is cheap also. good luck.

Posted on: 2018/4/22 9:39

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
Also what helps get some Iron out and mix 1/4 cup in half gallon water and add to brine tank cylinder opening every 5 or 6 cycles I do this even with the rust additive salt.

Posted on: 2018/4/22 17:59

LSF Member
From Rice MN
I had this issue and ended up putting in an iron filter prior to the softener. Just another idea

Posted on: 2018/4/22 18:59

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Sounds like your media in the softener needs to be changed out or the head unit is going bad. There should be a screen to clean on the head unit that I would check. I would find a manual or go on youtube and see how to do some maintenance.

Posted on: 2018/4/23 6:49

LSF Member
I just replaced a old broken water softener in my place this weekend. When setting the hardness level the instructions for my unit said to first test the hardness of your water with those little paper strips.

Once you have that number (mine was something like 12-13) then for every 1 ppm of iron in your water you adjust your hardness setting by adding 5. So if you have 2 ppm of iron you add 10 to your hardness setting.

This may vary but brand/unit but thats what mine said to do. If you've got extreme amount of iron in your water then you may need to do some of the additional things mentioned above.

Posted on: 2018/4/23 8:54

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page