Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Steelhead and Loopers
LSF Member
From SE Metro
Thanks for the reports guys. Was wondering if it would be worth the trip from the cities to fly fish up there this weekend. My dad and I just got into fly fishing this year and have had some success with brown and brook trout in WI. He now wants to go for steehead and salmon if possible. Have never fished any of the tributaries up there but do know a lot of the area from Duluth to Tofte from hunting and fishing on lakes up there. Any help appreciated!

Posted on: 10/10 7:26:23

LSF Member
From andover
They got a lot of rain up there along with some heavy snow so the streams would be really flowing. I would go to inland lakes right now in the Finland Isabella area myself. Not a fly fisherman but I don't think with the temps there that there are no hatches going on at this time. I would fish with spinners and small spoons in the lakes there. A crawler with some air injected with a lindy rig off shore would do it also. good luck.

Posted on: 10/10 8:34:18

Die young as old as possible.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From SE Metro
Thank you for the reply Reinhard. Yea the rivers will be moving but I hope if the rain stops early today that Saturday evening and Sunday should be ok as far as the water flow. I should have mentioned that we (I) have no idea about the "runs" these fish have into the rivers as far as timing and location but like I said he is set to try it out. We were thinking of using spawn sack imitation flies but not sure if that time has passed.

Posted on: 10/10 9:59:35

LSF Member
From andover
It's getting late in the season for any runs at all. I think the pink salmon may still be in but soon over. There are brookies that are in for sure. Lake run brook trout below the first barriers and lower for they do not jump any falls. They are also called coasters. Not sure but I think the smallest you can keep them is 16 inches but check on that. We normally throw them all back except the 5 pounder my brother caught 2 years ago fishing for steelhead in the spring. Picture is a few post up from here.

Now there is a very small run of king salmon that still run but in very low numbers. Chances on them are slim. Some coho but also in limited numbers. The north shore streams for the most part is not good for the purpose of spawning so the stocking was stopped back in the early 90's. My brother in fishing in Michigan right now for kings in the Manistique river in Upper Michigan. The river is running strong and it's tough to keep the salmon on but they got a few in the 15 pound range.

I think it will take awhile for the rivers on the North Shore to go down because of the rain further inland that will continue to drain water into streams. You can't fish the sucker river anymore off 61. The property owners finally have had enough from people leaving trash ect. Don't blame them one bit but it has been one of our favorite spots. The lower streams on the North Shore will be muddy or stained while the upper streams will be a little stained but more clear for the most part.

Like I said the inland lakes would be a better bet for trout. good luck.

Posted on: 10/10 11:20:17

LSF Member
Try to get up there at least once a spring with dad but im guessing those days are coming to an end now that you cant fish the Sucker River anymore. That has always been our favorite place to go for at least the 30 years or so I remember going.

Posted on: 10/15 12:01:14

LSF Member
From andover
Sucker river has been one of mine also since the 60's. Fished it and the north shore every year. Matter of fact I remember catching some brown trout many years ago on their spawning run. There are many creeks and rivers along the shore so don't let the closing of the Sucker stop you. One thing everyone can do regarding the trash along the shore is to take a plastic bag with you like we do and pick some up along the trip. Doesn't mean you have to fill the back of the truck. Every little bit helps. Trash and vandalism is why those good folks who own the property along the shore told the DNR to close it up. I do not blame them. They are good people who have let us fish that stretch for years. Since the 60's for me. So keep going and don't loose that tradition. good luck.

Posted on: 10/15 16:00:10

LSF Member
Yeah that is really too bad that pucks screw things up for everyone else.

If you wanted to fish the mouth though, I think you can still walk up the shoreline to do so.

Glass v. Goeckel, 473 Mich. 667, 703 N.W.2d 58 (2005)
Michigan LCV Analysis

This important ruling confirmed that the public trust doctrine applied to the Great Lakes and that beach-walking was permitted along the shoreline, along with the traditional public trust rights of hunting, fishing, and navigation. The public trust doctrine means that the state protects the lands in trust for certain public uses, even if they’re privately owned.

The Court unanimously held that the public had a right to walk within the public trust zone, but disagreed about the extent of that zone. The majority held that it extended to the ordinary high-water mark, including areas that are uncovered when water levels are low. The dissent, on the other hand, would have limited the public’s right to walk the shoreline to submerged lands.

Posted on: 10/15 16:41:55

LSF Member

Posted on: 10/15 16:43:35

LSF Member
Can you still access the upstream side of the scenic highway?

Posted on: 10/16 9:50:20

LSF Member
Yes you can still go up steam from the road. I don't remember ever seeing a whole lot of garbage but if it was my land I would be upset too. Thought the cleanup picture was kinda weird, don't think to many fisherman leave tires behind. Hopefully they are just looking for compensation and they should get it. If the DNR can pay farmers to let pheasant hunters walk on their land this should be no different.

Posted on: 10/16 10:20:55

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page