Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Overlay or redo?
LSF Member
Wow! asphalt contractors ALL over the map.2002 driveway starting to crack(some over 1.5 inches all the way to gravel.)Some say just patch cracks/edges falling out then 2 inch compacted overlay.Others say redo whole driveway cracks WILL return in a couple years.I've had bids for more $$ for just the overlay vs a complete tear out\repave.What gives???Never knew a driveway was such a complicated bid????

Posted on: 5/2 14:23:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Overlay or redo?
LSF Member
From SW Metro
yeah, when i got my 3 bids it was 4, 6 and 8K. Times are good right now, means prices are high and service is lower.

People are going to do what they can have the highest margins with is my guess

Posted on: 5/2 14:51:53

LSF Member
From Minnesota
The only driveway you can do that will hold up is concrete. Asphalt is like the Fram filter man........pay me know & pay me later.

Posted on: 5/2 14:57:24

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

BrianHoffies wrote:
The only driveway you can do that will hold up is concrete. Asphalt is like the Fram filter man........pay me know & pay me later.

True. Asphalt is actually considered a temporary driveway in a home appraisal.

Posted on: 5/3 8:33:00

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
A) If you have cracks in your driveway and you do an overlay, they will reflect into the overlay. Concrete will crack too, it's just more expensive to install.

B) Fram filters are just fine as long as you believe in regular maintenance on a vehicle and change the oil every 4000 miles. I have driven many vehicles to over 200k with no oil burning or engine issues.

C) can you provide the info that says a asphalt driveway is considered temporary? I've never heard that and I'd be interested in seeing the documentation.

Posted on: 5/3 18:05:59

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
40 years ago when we were buying our 1st house I mentioned to the realtor that I would be replacing the asphalt driveway with concrete because I worked for a masonry company at the time. The realtor told me it would increase my property taxes because the asphalt was not considered a permanent driveway surface and the concrete was. When I asked my boss about it he backed up what the realtor said. I've never seen anything in writing about it, and that is the only time I ever heard any reference to it.

Posted on: 5/4 8:26:24

LSF Member
I would just do a complete tear out

With overlay it may look good for awhile but you will have to end up doing a redo down the road anyway. May as well do it right the first time or it will end up costing you more in the long run.

Posted on: 5/5 2:28:07

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page