Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Rods for pulling spinners
LSF Member
Hey guys and gals just wondering what rod and reel do you use when you are pulling spinners with a bottom bouncer? I've been trying to figure out what is a good setup. I've been using a medium 6' rod and a spinning reel with braid. I've seen some people use longer Rods with bait casters but I'm not a big fan of walleye fishing with a bait caster. I guess if you wanted a line counter but you really don't need too know how much line you have out with a bottom bouncer because the weight will keep you on bottom.

Posted on: 5/7 17:11:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rods for pulling spinners
Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Grab a St. Croix 7ft Eyecon bounce n troll and match the action.
It's a casting seat rod that works great for bottom bouncers and doubles for long line trolling with 6/20 or 8/20 braid especially with a small line counter reel.

Posted on: 5/7 17:22:39

LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
What Ret-to said. I picked up a Scheels Walleye casting rod last year on clearance. 7 medium/moderate action. I was slow to switch to a bait caster as well. But, for bottom bouncers, it makes for quick depth adjustments. And I like it for long lining also.

Posted on: 5/7 20:23:50

LSF Member
I just saw an ad on Craigslist for 2 like new Walleye line counter combos, decent price. I think they were Gander rods with Diawa reels, so not premium brands, but good brands for a decent price.

Posted on: 5/8 7:48:59

Field Staff
From Hubbard County,MN
I use 8 ft. trolling rod medium to medium/heavy action with long handles. I run a tiller and when holding the rod in my right hand I stick the long handle under my arm pit. This allows me to change six foot depths by raising or lowering the rod without having to touch the reel handle. Also this method takes the pressure off of my wrist when pulling heavy weights.

Posted on: 5/8 9:29:47

To belittle is to be little

LSF Member
From Dalzell, sc
I use a medium action rod with longer handle with a baitcaster. For bottom boucing, i definitely paid attention to weight as you will be holding it all day. For trolling, i use low profile baitcasters also, but models with line counters. Dont need line counters fishing the bottom. Most frustrations you will need to learn with bottom bouncing is the speed to keep your lure off the bottom and avoid snags.

Posted on: 5/8 19:04:22

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page