Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

BSL opener 2018
LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
Heading up tomorrow morning and can't wait! With the late ice out, I haven't been up to the lake yet. Will spend tomorrow opening up the cabin and getting the dock and lift in. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is in order. Maybe get out on the water in the evening to target some panfish.

I'll try to share a report on opening day before the weekend wraps up.

Good luck to everyone heading out!
Joe

Posted on: 5/10 10:01:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: BSL opener 2018
Staff Team
From Bloomington
Good luck. Off the dock in Davis bay was always good to me.

Posted on: 5/10 12:04:40

LSF Member
I Cant wait to get the boat in the water!

Posted on: 5/10 12:26:58

LSF Member
Heading up to BSL in the morning, same schedule as you Joejarl. Pretty curious where the Walleye will be found this year, late ice and a cold front the day before opener. Don't know if it is better to start shallow or deep, or where to start. But it will be open water fishing, so it will be fun.

Posted on: 5/10 14:48:53

LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
Good luck. Off the dock in Davis bay was always good to me.

My best fish on opener last year was off the dock. We will be starting shallow in the warmest water I can find. But yes, just being in the boat on the water is what I'm looking forward to!

Posted on: 5/10 15:22:23

LSF Member
That is odd, we typically have good luck off the dock on opener, and didn't catch one Walleye last year. Couple of snot rockets (Pike) but that was it. But we had great fishing out on the lake, best year in a long time. Figure on throwing out a splash brite at 12:00am opener, just out of tradition.

Posted on: 5/10 15:36:18

LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
Well, I wish I had a good report to share, but we did not fair well. Started at sunrise Saturday morning hitting a couple of our go to spots trying jigs w/ shiners or fatheads and lindy rigs w/ leeches pulled slow. Fished 1- 12 FOW and seemed to have our best luck in about 6'. Tried pitching jigs and cranks to shore with minimal success. But, the best fish of the weekend (15 1/2" eye) came on an Original Floater in fire tiger pitched up to shoreline rocks. Ended up keeping 4 walleye, 1 nort, and 5 perch for the weekend. Water temp we found varied from around 50 to about 56. I have a feeling the spawn was not complete. Maybe if we would of spent some time around the bridges we would've had better luck. Just didn't want to play bumper boats. Curious if anybody else had better luck?

Also, only one walleye off the dock this year.

Posted on: 5/14 13:56:57

LSF Member
Joejarl,

Sounds like our luck was a bit better, but nothing to brag about either. My son and I found the Walleye in 6'-9' and fatheads were the ticket on a green jig. But, we caught way more fish on the dock than on the lake. Kept 6 Walleye, 8 nice sized Perch...released a bunch of 12"-13.5" Walleye (maybe 15 of them), a 20" and a 24.5". I had the knack for Pike, probably caught 10 of them, but didn't keep any. Throw in a couple of Rock Bass and a few smaller Perch. So we were fishy all day, but again nothing to brag about. Sunday, completely different story, hard to find any biters at all. My buddies finally found some in 22'-25' and got a couple to bite. But we were headed home early for Mothers Day.

Great weekend on BSL though!!!

Posted on: 5/14 14:50:14

LSF Member
Ive never labeled BSL as an opener lake...

But we also had no shortage of small walleyes and more pike than we cared for. It was action!

Our best was just trolling around with Raps in 5-8 FOW. It was absolutely gorgeous!!

Fishing will be better on the main lakes by this weekend.

Posted on: 5/15 11:27:03

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page