Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Kayak Fishing
LSF Member
I bought a basic kayak for my son and i to fish out of. Now we need to deck them out a bit with rod mount, depth finder, etc.. Anybody have any suggestions or any pictures of how you have your kayaks rigged for fishing? Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/5/25 15:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Kayak Fishing
LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
Don't have any pictures handy, but depending on your kayak layout, a milk crate with rod holders attached works well behind the seat for holding rods and gear. I used these from ACK:

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/17047/Yak-Gear-Milk-Crate-Square.html
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/11363/Yak-Gear-Build-A-Crate-3-Rod-Holder.html

You can find examples of a lot of good setups at the yakangler.com forums.

You might also want to consider an anchor and anchor trolley setup. Works well for when you want to hold in place, whether it be in a river or a lake. If you're going to anchor up, especially in a river, you might want to consider having a knife handy. In a fast current, if a tree or something comes floating down the river, you may need to get out of the way quick and might not have time to release the anchor.

-MS

Posted on: 2018/5/26 16:44

LSF Member
From Minnesota
My pet Kayak / Canoe peeve. I respect the heck out of the folks who Canoe and Kayak on lakes and rivers. The thing that annoys the heck out of me is I worry about their safety. Sitting low to the water they are very hard to see. This is especially true if they have a neutral colored canoe or kayak. Bright colors helps you be visible by boaters.

Today I saw a group of 4 Kayaks on Kabetogama. They were very easy to see as the ends of their paddles were a florescent orange!! Great idea and made them easy to see.

Whatever you do try and stay visible to the boats.

Have fun!!

Posted on: 2018/5/26 20:33

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
Quote:

BrianHoffies wrote:
My pet Kayak / Canoe peeve. I respect the heck out of the folks who Canoe and Kayak on lakes and rivers. The thing that annoys the heck out of me is I worry about their safety. Sitting low to the water they are very hard to see. This is especially true if they have a neutral colored canoe or kayak. Bright colors helps you be visible by boaters.

This is why I avoid areas areas where boats are, for the most part. Boaters just aren't looking for things that low in the water. When I am in areas that have lakes, I wear bright colors and have a flag mounted on a PVC mast that I mount in my rod holder behind the seat. Something similar to this: https://www.austinkayak.com/products/14717/4-Foot-Kayak-Safety-Flag-with-LED-Light.html.

Putting strips of reflective tape on the side of your boat will also help with visibility.

-MS

Posted on: 2018/5/28 7:59

LSF Member
From Land O Lakes
Attached is what my setup was like. Dont have it anymore due to getting a boat but it def got the job done for me. I mounted the SI transducer (huge) over the side with a ram mount from Austin Kayak. Worked very well. I would recommend getting a kayak cart, they make everything a lot easier. Also if you have a larger yak, they can usually fold up and fit inside.

Attach file:

jpg  kayak 2.jpg (1,768.18 KB)
35572_5b0d521e1c399.jpg 1944X2592 px

jpg  Kayak 1.jpg (1,032.21 KB)
35572_5b0d5237c2e43.jpg 2016X1512 px

Posted on: 2018/5/29 8:14

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page