Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Minnesota Lifetime License Discrimination?
LSF Member
From Fountain City, Wisconsin
Minnesota Lifetime Fishing License Discrimination?

OK Fishermen and Women. I need help including advice. A short story hereÖÖÖ

1. 15 years ago I bought a MN lifetime fishing license from the state. I specifically asked what would happen if I ever moved to another state? DNR said this license is good for life no matter what state you move to.
2. Never expecting to move, I did, four years ago. Across the river from Winona to a Fountain City, Wis address.
3. Last summer, Warden Tom Hemker (Who I get along with and was very cordial) checked my license and informed me that I was fishing the Mississippi illegally, even though I have the exact same fishing license as all my MN fishing buddies. He stated that to fish the Mississippi:
A. MN rules state: Minnesota residents must have a MN license. Residents of a bordering state must have their stateís resident license.

B. Wisconsin rules state: Wisconsin residents need a Wisconsin fishing license and Minnesota residents need a Minnesota license to fish in these boundary waters. Residents of other states need a nonresident license from Wisconsin or Minnesota.
5. Now how is it that just because I moved across the river, both states have discriminated against me by taking one of the rights away that I used to have with a Minnesota lifetime fishing license? I can only think that itís a money thing.
6. If I move to any other state, any other, I would be able to fish the Mississippi with the Lifetime Fishing license from MN. Because Iím a Wisconsin resident now, Iím being discriminated upon.

What I need to know is two things. Are there any other fishermen with this same problem in Wisconsin? (Other than my neighbor up the valley) and does anyone know of a law firm that handles discrimination cases on a win/loss basis? Because I will be taking a ticket in the near future and I will be asking for a jury trial of my peers.

Iím also going to see if I can attach my conversation with Senator Vinehout of Wis. for you all to read.

I would love to hear from you all and get some ideas! Thanks in advance. If you want to contact me personally please use my e-mail address:
daniel.picha22@gmail.com

Attach file:

docx E-mail Fishing with Sen. Vinehout, Wis..docx Size: 211.23 KB; Hits: 90

Posted on: 2018/6/2 12:53

Re: Minnesota Lifetime License Discrimination?
Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Hopefully you win, because the law makes no sense.

But......it is spelled out clearly, and you violated it. My bet is that you get the fine, or best case, a warning.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2018/6/2 17:52

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
That question came up at a DNR seminar I attended several years ago. The answer they gave then is the same answer the CO gave you. If you move from MN to WI after buying a MN lifetime license, when fishing MN/WI boundary waters you need the be licensed in WI, even if you have a MN lifetime license that is good on all non border water for a WI resident. The CO stated it had to do with their agreement with the WI DNR and referenced the page and paragraph # in the MN regs at that time.

Posted on: 2018/6/2 19:17

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Really? This is worth wasting a judges time? If it's so important don't look for a lawyer to take it on a contingency, get a lawyer and pay him yourself.

Posted on: 2018/6/2 19:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 7:38

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Why do you not have a WI fishing license? Do you not fish any lakes or other bodies of water in WI?

Posted on: 2018/6/3 14:16

LSF Member
Its not discrimination, its the regulation. Read before you sign.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 15:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Fountain City, Wisconsin
Thanks for the many replies men. I appreciate them. Some are more interesting and intelligent. Many years ago women weren't allowed to vote. (1920) This was a law that obviously was discriminatory. It got changed. Blacks couldn't vote either but they changed that discrimination. When a guy who has a Lifetime license from MN and lives in Texas, but can fish the Mississippi, and I can't with the same license, well I think that's a little unfair. Now hopefully that makes sense to some of you. Yes, it's worth my time and a judges time to change this law. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 16:02

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
Understand what your saying but you have the bar set much lower than I do for something to get upset about. Comparing it to women's or black's right to vote is a real stretch.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 16:48

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Wow, comparing your situation to women's and black's suffrage is a pretty good stretch. Why not spend $20 and get yourself a WI resident license and stop this nonsense. Or better yet move back to MN as it will be cheaper than trying to fight the government and probably ending up losing in the end anyway.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 17:24

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page