Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Minnesota Lifetime License Discrimination?
LSF Member
I'd be shocked if you find a lawyer willing to take this case on a win/loss basis because your odds of losing in court are nearly 100%. If you do win you'll have a hard time proving any real damages.

If you want to take it to court with a lawyer you're probably going to have to pay him win or lose and even a win is going to cost you a pretty penny.

You're going to have to ask yourself is it really worth the time and money. You could solve everything by simply buying a WI license. As a WI resident I find it hard to believe you wouldnt have done that already anyways since there are a lot more lakes in WI worth exploring.

As far as the law itself I find it hard to believe its a money grab on part of either state. It only impacts the very small group of people that have a lifetime MN license, live in WI, and fish the border waters.

I also can't see how there is any sort of discrimination against you. You're being treated like every other WI resident requiring you to have a WI license to fish the border water. Sounds like you're hoping the MN lifetime license gives you special treatment and you're upset that it doesn't.

My advice, by the WI license and find something better to get upset about.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 9:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Western WI
Sorry Blue I have to agree with most of the others. You have to understand that the Miss belongs to both states, shore to shore. That makes it a WI and MN water so a resident license is required for the state where you live (i.e. MN or WI), just like fishing any state lake. If you were from TX you would need either a MN or WI license to fish the river but if you were fishing the Miss up by St. Cloud you'd need ONLY the MN. Save your time & money and buy a WI license.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 10:22

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
Definitely as stupid B.S. hole in the regulations. I would hope a CO would have better things to do. But apparently not. I would say writing these kinds of tickets would only give them a bad reputation in the community they "serve". That being said I doubt you would win the case. law is law, but good luck!

Posted on: 2018/6/4 11:32

LSF Member
From Fountain City, Wisconsin
We vote people into office to make laws fair and equitable for all. When a law isn't fair for all fishermen, then I feel it needs to be changed. Just because the law is a "little bit unfair" doesn't mean we should just look the other way and take the beating. It has nothing to do with $20 bucks. It has to do with fairness. And to move back to MN? Really? That answer just tells me that there is a severe lack of common sense. Fighting the DNR is always tough but this is one small fight I'm willing to take on. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 13:33

LSF Member
Thanks "Oldstar". What you say makes perfect sense, unlike some of the fishing/hunting laws. Most laws are decent and the CO's work their tail off for us, but this border law doesn't make any sense. Totally agree with you!

Posted on: 2018/6/4 13:36

LSF Member
Hey Vger, you wrote..."If you were from TX you would need either a MN or WI license to fish the river..." NOT if you had a MN Lifetime Fishing License previously as I do. From Texas, you could come to the Mississippi and fish from track to track! That's what this whole thing is about. The guy from Texas who owns a MN lifetime license gets to fish the Mississippi. The guy from Wisconsin, (Me) doesn't get to fish the Mississippi river. Equitable? I think NOT!

Notfishfisherman, that is the discrimination that I'm talking about. See it now? And thanks for your input. I respect everyone's reply whether I agree or not.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 13:40

LSF Member
I will certainly agree its a dumb law and it leaves the few MN lifetime license holders living in WI that want to fish borders waters without buying a WI license in a no mans land of sorts. I'll say its probably unfair I just can't go as far as to say there is discrimination happening. Legally speaking you are being treated like every other WI resident and being held to the same regulations that they are as your MN lifetime license doesn't offer any special privileges in those border waters. You're not being treated the same as a TX resident because the situations are different since WI has a stake in the border waters where TX does not.

I'm sure lawmakers didn't see this as a huge issue as there can't be many people in your situation. I'm sure there are MN lifetime license holders living in WI, some will even fish the border water but I'm sure the vast majority are also going to buy a WI license so they can fish else where in WI and not simply rely on their out of state MN lifetime license for all their fishing opportunities.

If you want to change the law I would say your better bet is to start talking to your local representatives. Put the issue forward with them, you might have to be rather persistent with it and keep on it but I think you'll fair better than having to sue. When talking to your representatives all you'll need to do is prove how stupid the law is and hope they take the issue on for you. If you go the route of suing you'll have to plead your case in front of a judge where you have to prove legally how the law is discriminatory. I think its easy to see how the law is stupid but I doubt a judge finds it meets the legal definition for discrimination. The first option is all of course free just takes time, going to court will take a lot of time and money.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 15:20

LSF Member
Notfishfisherman now that makes sense! I'm glad you see this is a stupid law. By the way, I've already contacted my State Senator and my State Representative. They are at this time looking at this situation. The State Rep has even found a loophole for some fishing laws. This is how I think it will go........
1. I get a ticket
2. I go to court in Alma WI
3. Have a jury trial of my peers.
4. I get found not guilty.
5. I stop getting tickets.
6. The state of Wis. states that any Wis resident who fishes the Mississippi River must have a Wis license. (Exception: a Wis resident who has in their possession a MN lifetime fishing license may fish the Mississippi River from track to track.)

Thanks for your input!!!!!

Posted on: 2018/6/4 17:53

Not sure about Wisconsin, but in most states you would not be entitled to a jury trial for an offense like this. Most Judges will read a law and apply it as written.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 20:48

LSF Member
From St. Joseph, Mo.
Down here in Missouri a person has to have a license from the state they launch their boat from on the Missouri River. Launch from Ks. side, Ks license, Mo. side, Mo. license. If you don't have both licenses don't touch the other state bank! Make sense?

Posted on: 2018/6/4 22:46

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page