Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Weber Pizzaque
Staff Team
From Annandale
I took the plunge after searching for wood fire pizza oven ideas and purchased the Weber pizzaque attachment and gave it it's first trial run today and I was very impressed! I made a Neapolitan style pizza dough with bread flour, tap water, high quality extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and fresh yeast. I mixed this, let it rest for an hour, split the dough into 9 ounce balls and placed on sheet trays and wrapped the trays tightly in plastic wrap. I let these set for another 2 hours and then into the fridge overnight. I kept two in the fridge for todays pizza and took the remaining balls, rubbed them with olive oil, vacume sealed them and into the freezer for a later date.

Here is the link to the recipe I used. I let rise and fermented a bit differently but the dough turned out fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-mwJcNBzA.

I made some very rustic style pizzas as I am no pro when it comes to tossing pizza dough. The first pizza I made a fig spread with dried figs, apple jam, water, lemon juice, touch of cinnamon and let simmer for 15 minutes before pureeing with an immersion blender. I put a light spread on first followed by thin sliced Proscuitto, crumbled gorgonzola, and fresh mozzarella and "grilled". I then topped it with fresh torn basil and a drizzle of balsamic reduction (picture was taken before balsamic was added).

With the second pizza I made a pizza sauce from organic canned San Marzano tomatoes, sea salt and fresh basil also lightly pureed with an immersion blender. Sauce on first, sprinkle parmesan cheese, add fresh mozzarella, topped with Italian sausage, pepperoni and green olives. These took around 4 minutes in the Weber and were fantastic! The coals get lined behind and to the side of the stone and then topped with hardwood to really get the heat high (it's quite the show when it is really going strong). I cooked these on the stone once it reached 800 degrees on the rear surface (the surface can get hotter but you may find you burn the bottom of the pizza before the edges are where you desire). Rotate continuously until you get the char you are looking for. A lot of fun and an investment I fortunately do not regret. I made enough dough for 10 servings so I now get to look forward to my next round!

Attach file:

png  PQ.png (738.56 KB)
15237_5b4961cb7ec56.png 1280X720 px

png  PQ3.png (1,261.53 KB)
15237_5b49622645cc3.png 1280X720 px

png  PQ2.png (1,626.11 KB)
15237_5b49624465945.png 1280X720 px

Posted on: 7/13 21:44:21

Re: Weber Pizzaque
LSF Member
From andover
Man that looks good!!! Something I haven't done yet. good luck.

Posted on: 7/15 4:03:07

Die young as old as possible.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Mora
That looks good. I have a kamado style grill that I do pizza in but, like you said the biggest problem is keeping the bottom of the crust from burning. I love the taste of pizza from a grill though

Attach file:

jpg  FB_IMG_1517328746534.jpg (75.10 KB)
9711_5b537f8852db0.jpg 720X960 px

Posted on: 7/21 13:46:46

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
That looks great! Thanks for the heads up on that product!

Posted on: 7/23 10:36:13

LSF Member
From South Metro Area
highbeeze24,

your thread really got my attention, so I just had to order the PizzaQue online (HomeDepot $69) for my +25 year old Weber Kettle that was destined for the junk pile.

All I want to say is THANK YOU for your post!

This has turned into a family affair, getting the charcoal lite and preheat the weber; then everyone gets to make their own pizza with the toppings they want.

Having not mastered homemade crust yet, I get the 3 pack extra thin premade crust at the grocery store. We have made traditionally topped
pies, and even tried home style versions of the specialty pizza store signature pies. Every pie has been awesome!

highbeeze24 said your pizza will cook in 4 minutes. You better check it at 3 or it will burn on you! The temp gauge gets well past 750 degrees.

So far the only down side is it takes a lot of charcoal and you cannot shut it down to put out the coals.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3246.JPG (96.19 KB)
2974_5b6dccb6e534a.jpg 630X840 px

jpg  IMG_3247.JPG (87.61 KB)
2974_5b6dccca0cf4e.jpg 630X840 px

Posted on: 8/10 12:37:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From Annandale
That's awesome go4it! I knew I couldn't be the only one that would have fun with this. You're right about the charcoal. I usually run a full chimney and then top with hardwood to help conserve some funds. The product it kicks out is very good. Good to hear your family is enjoying the new toy!

Side note, after my first attempt with the frozen fresh dough that I had made I was able to figure out my main issue. I had pulled it and placed in the fridge overnight to defrost. What happened was that the gluten was given too much time to develop which is why I ended up with such high crust. As I spread the dough the edges would not thin out due to being so tight with gluten. The flavor was great but not what I had desired for a finished product. Last night fired the que up again and this time I took the dough out of the freezer and let it defrost on the counter. As soon as it was no longer frozen I spread it and it was night and day to the first run. Much easier to work with and the pizzas were delicious! The fresh dough takes quite a bit more time to cook than the par baked sheets from the store. These both took around 6-7 minutes with the stone temp being 675 degrees when placed. Sausage and pepperoni and Prosciutto, gorgonzola and basil.

Also, when using the fresh dough either flour the pizza peel very well or add a good dusting of cornmeal before putting the stretched dough on to build your pizza or it will stick and you are then up a creek. I personally put a moderate layer of cornmeal down as I like the flavor it adds.

Attach file:

jpg  pizza.jpg (112.83 KB)
15237_5b7b0c50a790a.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 8/10 15:59:33

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page