Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

New DWI law goes into effect Aug.1
LSF Member
From andover
Yep.

Little Alan's law goes into effect Aug. 1. A new law that goes into effect Aug.1 means people convicted of driving while intoxicated--regardless of the vehicle they are driving, will lose their driver's license and be prohibited from operating motor vehicles, including all terrain vehicles, motorboats and snowmobiles.

The state legislature passed the law following the death of 8 year old Alan Geisenkoetter Jr., who died in January after being struck by a snowmobile driven by a man whose driver's license was revoked after multiple DWI offenses.

Before the law change, people convicted of DWI in a highway licensed vehicle still could legally operate ATV's motorboats and snowmobiles. The changes apply to violations that occur on or after Aug.1. good luck.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 16:06

Die young as old as possible.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New DWI law goes into effect Aug.1
LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Why this wasn't the law before an innocent kid was killed is beyond me.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 18:55

LSF Member
Quote:

Doberfishman wrote:
Why this wasn't the law before an innocent kid was killed is beyond me.

Mainly because it wouldn’t have stop this incident from happening unfortunately. This guy already had 3 dui’s I believe. Instead of taking their licenses away, how about locking them up for three years instead?

Another dumb law that only looks good on paper to get re-elections but this does the community no service.

Posted on: 2018/7/31 20:52

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
pulleye is correct, just like the current laws don't actually stop anyone with a DWI and suspended license from getting behind the wheel.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 7:29

LSF Member
I also agree with pulleye16, unfortunately, but it is true.

Elected lawmakers come up with ways to create new laws with no real teeth, that they can use to get re-elected, without really solving any problems.

Not to hijack this post, but they need to put some real teeth behind sentencing for deliberate crimes. Like gun control, passing laws to restrict gun ownership is about as far from the correct way to handle the situation as possible, but its the easiest for the politicians to get their names in the news and on a law, but does nothing for the bad guy with the gun in his hand. Alternative, if you use a weapon in a crime that you are convicted of, automatic life in prison, if you injure someone with a weapon in a crime you are convicted of, automatic death penalty. I think bad guys would think differently about using a gun in a crime.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 7:53

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I agree, sadly WITH Pulleye16, this law would not have saved Alan. The person who killed him did not care about laws. So if he ignores 1 law or 10 laws it would not have changed anything.

Will it help in the future? I think it will. Lots of people will drive a boat after having a few. But if now they know that booze cruze dwi will follow them off the water they may be more careful.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 8:54

LSF Member
From andover
Pulleye is right in a way because there are those who really do not care about laws. However I do think it might deter those who will think twice about drinking in the boat and maybe on second thought waiting till you get back to the cabin or back home. I did my share in my younger years but as you get older I get more of a buzz just being out there fishing or hunting. I do my adult beverage deal back at the campsite, cabin, deer camp, or home. good luck.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 9:20

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
From depths of the unknown
I don't think this law will do anything to deter people from driving a motor vehicle intoxicated but it does give the police another thing to impact people with DWI issues that now when they meet them operating a boat, snowmobile, or ATV can now charge them opposed to just letting them be on their way or vice versa. I don't think it will have any impact on people that follow the law to their best ability. I had no clue a DWI in a boat would NOT effect your ability to drive a car, but am glad they have aligned this law as it makes sense.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 16:47

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
Quote:

smokey wrote:
I don't think this law will do anything to deter people from driving a motor vehicle intoxicated but it does give the police another thing to impact people with DWI issues that now when they meet them operating a boat, snowmobile, or ATV can now charge them opposed to just letting them be on their way or vice versa. I don't think it will have any impact on people that follow the law to their best ability. I had no clue a DWI in a boat would NOT effect your ability to drive a car, but am glad they have aligned this law as it makes sense.

Talked to a neighbor that is a policeman. He hasn't seen or been briefed on the new law yet so he isn't certain on it's finer points. But there is an existing law that if you are caught operating a boat, ATV, snowmobile, etc .... while intoxicated it does effect your car driving privilege. As he understands the new law, if you get a DUI in a car, any driving restrictions placed on your operation of a car will now carry over to boats, ATV's, snowmobiles and other recreational craft.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 18:47

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page