Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 2018 Deer Archery Season
LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
BB- i'm planning, if i am lucky, to have a cooler of ice blocks in the truck, pack the cavity with ice for my quick ride home, the hang by the rear legs with the cavity still stuffed, quarter out and place the quarters in a cooler or 2 lined with ice and a layer or 2 of butcher paper (to keep the meat off of the ice directly), and then debone each quarter from there placing that meat in another cooler

Posted on: 9/13 15:19:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Coolers of ice - check

I'm hunting up near mora, do any of the meat shops have after hours drop offs? I know people have recommended Thielen's in Pierz in the past but I just called them and they claimed to drop a deer off you need to be there an hour before close which would only be possible with a successful morning hunt. Called the meat shop in Foley and they have an after hours number to call. I'm 50/50 on just processing myself, with the heat it almost seems easier/safer to gut, pack with ice and cruise to a meat shop as fast as possible.

Posted on: 9/13 16:06:24

LSF Member
From Mn
The main thing I think of in this heat is What if?? What if I would stick one at sunset,wait 15 20 minutes to find it go trailing only to see it jump an run cause of a not perfect hit.Trail with a flashlite,,, lose trail have to wait foe sunup. I have done that in cold weather and gutting was pretty stinky friends walked away so stinky.I did it cause I shot the animal but again this heat!!

Posted on: 9/13 16:48:20

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Find shot deer before it gets too dark to track, check!

Posted on: 9/13 19:21:30

LSF Member
Diamond J in Cambridge will take deer most hours. You may want to give him a call ahead though to be sure, but his FB page says 10:00 pm.

https://www.facebook.com/jjaloszynski/

I've used him for the past 6 or 7 years.

Posted on: 9/13 19:42:12

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
10 pm is great! And basically on my way home too, thanks for passing along. Looking at the facebook page I see a price per deer, do they make summer sausage/brats/sticks etc too?

Posted on: 9/13 20:57:28

LSF Member
I hunt private land so I can drag it out of the woods and get to work on it right away if needed. I would get it hung up and skin off as fast as possible and get to work on quartering it. Once the quarters are safely on ice in a cooler than you've got some time to get it taken care of.

If you're going to take it in some place I would get it out of the woods and get ice in the chest cavity as fast as possible. I would lay the deer down on a tarp in the bed of your truck, trailer, whatever you have. Get as much ice in the cavity as you can and then maybe get a few extra bags of ice around the deer to get it cooling off. Then wrap the entire thing in up in the tarp to hold at least some of the cold in. You could also consider covering with a heavy blanket or something to insulate the tarp and to keep the ice cold longer. Then get it dropped off and into their coolers as fast as you can.

Really everything after you located your dead deer isn't so bad as long as you plan ahead and have your game plan laid out. That part just takes a bit of prep and pre planning. The hard part is making sure you're only taking high percentage shots with the best odds of a quick recovery. If you need to leave a deer lay out over night do to a poor shot odds are the deer won't be much good the next morning unless you get lucky and it lives until just before you start your tracking the next day.

Posted on: 9/14 9:04:56

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
dang, this weekend is looking worse, scattered storms in the am tomorrow, not much of a drop tomorrow night, I dont think i'll even go out sunday now with the high 80's

Posted on: 9/14 11:19:01

LSF Member
Yeah that weather is keeping me home this weekend. I could hunt 2 of the first 3 weekends so I'm picking the next 2 and sitting this one out. Forecast for next weekend in my area is highs in the 50's and lows in the 40's so much better.

Posted on: 9/14 12:31:27

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I know the heat isn't ideal but people down south have to always be hunting in this heat. I'll be out there, I generally hate the heat but think sitting in the shade will be nice and I won't be freezing my tits off for once while deer hunting. And I'll actually put cold coffee in my thermos which will be great.

Posted on: 9/14 14:00:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page