Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

So...Drivable Ice by Thanksgiving Then!
LSF Member
The new F150 needs a bath anyway!

(chuckle)

Posted on: 2018/11/7 12:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: So...Drivable Ice by Thanksgiving Then!
LSF Member
From andover
Bander I was hunting about 40 miles north of Duluth. Small ponds that I saw had a partial to most a thin layer of ice. The average lakes up there where open. So I can't see truck driving by Thanksgiving. Walking or ATV maybe I know a 300 acre lake up there where I used to go all the time one week after Thanksgiving. Always had at least 6 inches of ice. Last 4 years it never happened. Too warm or too much snow on thin ice. We are going to have some cold nights now so it depends on the snow to stay away until we get a good base. Someone else can comment on other areas but I will go up north as soon as my brother tells me it's safe to walk or ATV. good luck.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 12:42

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
From West Metro
Looks like skim ice on URL as of last Sunday...

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20181104-160514_Chrome.jpg (692.74 KB)
35781_5be32dc1d3385.jpg 1080X2220 px

Posted on: 2018/11/7 13:24

LSF Member
i will be extremely happy if there is walkable ice anywhere by thanksgiving. before would be nice seeing that i am on call the lat week in novemeber so if its gonna come ill take a below zero cold snap and no wind for the next ten to 15 days.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 13:55

Staff Team
From Annandale
Looking at the forecast around the metro, a slight warm up next Friday with highs in the upper 30's to low 40's with overnight lows below freezing for the next 10 days I think it's safe to say some low lying small lakes will see foot traffic inside of 3 weeks (barring an increase in temps beyond the 10 day forecast). The real enemy we need to stay at bay once things get rolling is the snow. Driving will be most likely Christmas or later in the metro, at least that has been the norm for the last few years.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 14:05

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
All the predictions are a warmer winter and more snow right? That will kill driving onthe lakes around the cities real fast. I know its cold right now but I bet mid november warms back up again. Nothing special but warm enough to kill ice. I'm hoping we get good ice this year but it just seems like with the predictions driveable around the cities might be late this year.

Posted on: 2018/11/8 0:01

LSF Member
i have heard one almanac is predicting mild winter, other prediciting a severe winter. I will let mother nature decide and i am hoping she freezes hell over this winter and superior freezes up, or at least chequamegon and the apostales real nice so i can ice fish there.

Posted on: 2018/11/8 21:00

Staff Team
From Annandale
South side of Maple is locked up. Its only an oversize slough but it's a start!

Posted on: 2018/11/9 15:49

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Better question is how long until people are walking out on upper red..? couple more nights like this it could be real soon.

Posted on: 2018/11/9 16:08

LSF Member
Chequamegon Bay froze up quite well last year. Trucks were driving around out there well into March last season.

Posted on: 2018/11/9 18:22

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page